Thursday, July 10, 2014

#44 Supper - Sam's synopsis

I am pretty sure Supper is called that for a reason. Not to say the brunch I had there was terrible in any way, it was mostly mediocre. I think my expectations were high - maybe because Supper has been one of the few hyped "fine dining" stops on the saunter, or maybe because they had an all-you-can-eat "old school" cereal bar that cost $8 (really? $8 for CEREAL?! I love cereal but I don't think I'd spend that much money on a few bowls when I could spend $8 and get half a gallon of milk and a box of Cheerios for that price). 

It was a hot summer day, but we had a reservation so we were seated immediately. The wait staff was friendly and our particular waiter made sure we had everything we needed. There are lots of large windows, so the inside is very sunny and there is a lot of light wood paneling everywhere. Random side note, I tend to change tenses all the time when writing these reviews. Sorry to my grammar-obsessed friends.

Anyways, I was able to have tea, earl grey, hot with milk and honey, so that was a plus. We decided to split the lemon meringue doughnuts as a brunch appetizer - this was an excellent decision. Despite my actual meal only being okay, these were amazing. Little fried dough balls filled with lemon curd, dusted with powdered sugar and crushed Nilla wafers. Heavenly. Everything about these were made to perfection - not too heavy on the sweet/tart balance for the lemon curd, not overly greasy fried doughness, etc.

I went for a frittata with cheddar and greens (kale + spinach). This came with a side of caramelized onion hash browns and toast. Everything tasted fine, but the frittata was too - eggy? It was a little on the spongey/dry side, and I was expecting it to be smoother. The hash browns weren't anything to write home about either, more like home fries and sadly lacking in caramelized onions. I would like to try Supper again for, well, supper, but I probably won't be returning for brunch - unless I can snag a few of those lemon meringue doughnuts.

Supper 
926 South Street
Philadelphia, PA
(215) 592-8180

No comments:

Post a Comment