Sunday, July 6, 2014

#40 Bap - Sam's synopsis

Bibimbap. It's a fun word to say. It's also a delicious Korean meal. Bap is aptly named, because the only item on the menu is bibimbap, with either veggies, tofu, chicken or beef. For those not in the know, bibambap is a dish with rice, vegetables, meat (or tofu), egg and spicy sauce that you mix up together and then promptly eat. There was an appetizer (some type of scallion pancake I believe), and a spicy ginger tea that I ordered, but that's it. 

looks pretty tasty, huh?
With such a sparse menu, you can imagine that the restaurant itself is pretty tiny. There were only two small tables to eat - most people get take out or order delivery. We luckily went in the middle of the day on a Sunday so were able to grab a table. The inside is bright and cheery, and the man running the place was very friendly. As an aside, they have posted on their wall some of their best/favorite Yelp reviews, which I thought was pretty cute. We sat down and the wall started barking at us - turns out there's a door behind a curtain, which presumably is connected to an apartment/room next door where a dog lives. After figuring out that the walls weren't haunted by angry pups, we waited for our food. I got the chicken, and it was delicious. The vegetables were very fresh, the rice a good consistency and perfect for mixing, and the chicken was tender and flavorful. The tea was very spicy with all that ginger - I imagine it is better when hot, and I think I would definitely order it in the winter as a pick-me-up or a way to soothe a nasty cold.

For a place with only one dish, you better make it pretty darn delicious - and Bap delivered. The next time I'm in the mood for bibimbap, I'll be calling them for some take-out.

Bap
1224 South Street
Philadelphia, PA
(215) 735-0553

No comments:

Post a Comment