Wednesday, July 9, 2014

#41 Caribbean Delight - Sandy's synopsis




The battle of the jerk chickens! That was my intention when we went to Caribbean Delight for dinner - to compare their Jerk chicken with the one I had at Jamacan Jerk Hut. Would it be as spicy? Would I have an equivalent amount of stomach troubles?

Before I answer those questions (I'm sure you're dying from anticipation to hear about my stomach troubles), let me tell you a little about the place. Caribbean Delight is extremely colourful on the inside and not in a bad way. I really enjoyed the art.


You order at the counter and take your seat. I ordered the Jamaican coffee and the jerk chicken. Now they have three sizes for the entrees - mini, small and large. The small comes with two sides - I chose the mac 'n cheese and rice. This will end up being a decent amount of food and ergo you will have leftovers. Leftover for a very affordable price at that.

Let's start with the Jamaican coffee. When I was asked whether I'd want sweetened milk with my coffee, I knew I had made the right choice. Yes, I asked for the sweetened milk. Yes, the coffee was delicious.


And now for the entree, the ultimate test. The jerk chicken.


First impressions: It looked delicious and had a lot more gravy than the one at Jamaican jerk hut. 

Lets break it down by taste, spice level, and stomach issues.

Taste: I really liked Caribbean's delight's version of jerk chicken, however it was less on the jerk flavour and the gravy smothered out some of the jerk seasoning. Jamaican jerk hut's has less gravy and a much more intense flavour.

Spice level: Jamaican Jerk hut's is spicier by many degrees. To me that makes it tastier but if you'd like to enjoy some jerk chicken without burning your mouth (again, an enjoyable sensation to me), Caribbean delight's chicken will be your thing.

Stomach issues: The one you've all been waiting for. If you'll remember, I had major stomach issues after Jamaican Jerk hut. With Caribbean Delight, I had medium stomach issues. This made me sad. 

Before I sum up my thoughts, let me briefly comment on the sides. The rice was good, nothing fancy. The Mac'n Cheese was more your homemade, thickly compressed together "slice" of mac and cheese. This is was good, I mean, it's mac 'n cheese, but not how I prefer it. The plantains that came with it though were phenomenal. Absolutely phenomenal.


So all in all, I don't think this was worth my tummy issues. Which doesn't mean it isn't good and you shouldn't try it out. 
If your stomach is not a wimp about Jamaican food and you prefer things less spicy with more gravy, Caribbean Delight will hit the spot. Make sure get the plantains and the Jamaican coffee while you're there. 
If your stomach is not a wimp about Jamaican food and you enjoy things REALLY spicy - Jamaican Jerk hut is your place. (Especially now, since that beer garden popped up next door to them).


Caribbean Delight
1124 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19147
215-829-1030

No comments:

Post a Comment