Sunday, July 6, 2014

#40 BAP - Sandy's synopsis


There aren't enough places in this city that sell Bi Bim Bap and I really love that dish. When I used to live in the 22nd and Chestnut area, I used to love going to Tampopo for their Bi Bim Bap. Keeping all this in mind it makes no sense that I had passed by BAP many times and didn't really want to try it. This is because I judged a book by it's cover - I was clearly not an attentive child and did not learn that lesson young. The cover really isn't that bad, I just dismissed it as equivalent to generic Chinese take-out.



 BAP is a small place with two tables and is really designed to get things to go, like the sign says. The interior is cute with a few knick-knacks on the wall and a dog in the closet. No seriously, there was a little dog in the closet behind our table that yelped a few yelps when we sat down. It quietened down though after a minute or so. I'm assuming someone knew it was behind there. 



Their menu is really basic, mainly consisting of four types of Bi Bim Bap - vegetable, beef, chicken and tofu. They also have some homemade ginger-cinnamon tea to drink. I ordered the tofu bi bim bap and the tea. 


The bi bim bap was very good and for a very good price. The tea, well, okay, before I say anything, I should confess that I don't really like a strong cinnamon taste in things. I did that thing that I do with hibiscus and order it because it "sounds" good and I think I should like it. I never do. So, suffice to say, I did not like the tea, but if you like some cinnamon with your ginger tea - you'll probably like it. 

So coming back to the bi bim bap - it had everything you'd want from the dish, bright vibrant colours to look at, a great tasting sauce, fresh vegetables, over easy egg and some protein.


If you are a fan of bi bim bap in general and are in the area, this is a great place to get your fix. BAP is a great addition to this neighbourhood bringing an affordable variety to the offerings immediately east of broad street.

BAP 
1224 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19147
215-735-0533

No comments:

Post a Comment