Saturday, July 5, 2014

#39 Ms. Tootsies - Sandy's synopsis


I was excited for Ms. Tootsies because soul food isn't something I eat too often. I had also heard very good things about this place and was excited to see if it lived up to the buzz. Ms. Tootsies seems rather small with about 4-5 tables, so expect to wait a little bit if you are putting your name down for the table. They do have an upstairs, but I couldn't tell if that was seating for dinner, or just the lounge area. I will say -  the wait will be worth it. 

Our wait was about 30 minutes, which wasn't too bad especially because it was a nice day outside. We got seated at the table nearest the door. Now, it wasn't too much off an issue, but this table was also closest to the DJ. He played some nice tracks, dont get me wrong, but it was a little too loud and thus a little too hard to hear people talk. 

The flipside argument to that is - we aren't here to talk we are here to eat! 

However, before I move onto the food section I wanted to bring attention to the fact that the bar seating was 90% working women. It was nice to see women in their professional gear taking up almost all of the bar space - speaking to the increase in women in the workplace and them finding a nice spot to have a drink after a long workday.

Okay, now onto the food. You get complimentary corn bread with strawberry butter to start with. Yes, strawberry butter. It was delicious.


We aso decided to get a couple of appetizers so we can try as many things as we could. We got the catfish fingers and crab mac 'n cheese. I unfortunately do not have photos for these and we should assume that is because I was too busy stuffing my face. Now the fish fingers we really really good. The mac and cheese was a little too crab tasting for me. I couldnt really get a sense for the mac and cheese which is personally what I was looking for. If you like alot of crab flavour however, this is your dish.

For the main course I ordered the fried chicken with the okra with corn and the rice with gravy for my two sides. 


This dish was fantastic. The fried chicken was tender and just the right amount of salt. The corn was sweet and delicious with the okra balancing things out. The rice was buttery and smothered in gravy. Simply delicious and comforting. The portion was large too and I had leftovers for two more sittings. The chicken re-heated very well. 

You end the night with a choice of Tootsie Pops to suck on while paying the bill. Sam gets credit for being the only who got the "Tootsie Pop because the place is called Ms. Tootsies" link. This was also my first experience having a tootsie pop - it was underwhelming. I wasn't as excited as I thought I would be when I reached the center. 

From what I could tell from around the table, I believe everyone enjoyed their meals very much. Thanks to Mike and Christian for joining us. I enjoyed my night at Ms. Tootsies very much and would recommend it to other people.

Ms. Tootsies
1312 South Stret
Philadephia PA 19147
215-731-9045

No comments:

Post a Comment