Friday, August 15, 2014

#45 Percy Street BBQ - Sandy's synopsis


That's pretty good advice - Love is complicated, brisket is simple. Are you convinced that you should go to Percy Street BBQ yet? No? The cow holding hands/hoofs with the woman does not sway you to eat more beef?

Well, looks like this review will attempt to convince you to do just that. Without the use of weird cow, human romance chalk drawings.

If my memory serves me correctly, this is the second BBQ place we have encountered on South Street since Phoebe's BBQ on 24th-ish and South. The two immediate differences are - price ( Phoebe's is much cheaper) and seating options (take-out versus sit in).

Before I compare the two however let me go over our experience at Percy Street BBQ. 

The interior is very spacious and open and they also have outdoor seating if so desired. The benches are wooden and impart a rustic feel to the establishment.

They have a very interesting cocktail menu, so interesting that I thought it was worth taking a photo of it to have you judge for yourself.



Yes, that is the shadow of my little finger in the photo. You are welcome. 

It was a very hard decision to make, but I was feeling very adventurous. You can probably guess what the most "adventurous" drink on this list is. If you guessed the Hillbilly gatorade, then you are correct - BBQ sauce, Pickle Juice and Miller high life.


It might not look very appetizing but let me tell you how pleasantly surprised I was after taking that first sip. To me, it was delicious! I enjoyed every bit of it. Now 3 of the remaining 5 people at the table tried it. Only 1 of those 3 people liked it. So, clearly not a win for everyone - hit or miss kind of drink. I still urge everyone to get this once. You might be one of those people who loves it and you will be a happier person knowing this is now an option in your life.

I tried the other cocktails at the table. I can tell you that the Gentleman Gambler, Red Rio Antebellum and FM 423 are all delicious. 


Enough about the booze, lets get down to the meat of this review, namely, the meat. The table ordered a variety of dishes and a few appetizers. 

I ordered the pulled pork for my entree and it did not disappoint.



 I will say that the pork without their BBQ sauces on them tends to be a bit too salty so don't forget to lather it with your sauce of choice. You can choose between Hot mess, Ole Faithful and Sweet thing sauces and I don't think I can pick one over the other. They are all delicious. The portions are big and this meal lasted a couple of days of leftovers.

I know the brisket ( which comes with a choice of moist or dry), ribs and chicken were all ordered and thoroughly enjoyed by our table. Also, Percy street can accommodate a gluten-free diet for most of their meat dishes. 

As for the appetizers - the mac and cheese was phenomenal. Comforting and cheesy, with an amazing breadcrumb crust .


The biscuits were also amazing and came with a sweet spread (with carrots, which was weird but delicious) and butter.


The deviled eggs were pretty to look at and nice to the taste but nothing out of the ordinary.


The fried quail with grits was the least favourite appetizer for me. Just seemed to fall flat on taste on both fronts.

Even though we had alot of food, that did not keep us from dessert. Percy street has a couple of interesting milkshakes and a couple of interesting pies. We ordered a rhubarb strawberry milkshake, a pecan pie and a grasshopper pie. 


I ordered the grasshopper pie because of its name. Besides, you can't go too wrong with chocolate and mint. However it was nothing compared to the pecan pie and the rhubarb milkshake. Definitely would pick either of those next time.

Well,  if you consider all the food we ordered, you'll probably guess that it did end up being expensive. I do believe even if we weren't collectively try to order the entire menu, I would consider it a little expensive. The entree's do not come with any sides which adds to the price. So expect to put a little dent in your wallet when you come here, but you will be well rewarded. If you're looking for BBQ on a more regular or cheaper basis, I would pick Phoebe's but for a more creative (but pricier) menu, Percy Street is a fantastic place for lunch or dinner. 

Also, Hillybilly gatorade....


Percy Street BBQ
900 South Street 
Philadelphia PA 19147
215-652-8510



No comments:

Post a Comment