Friday, August 15, 2014

#45 Percy Street BBQ - Vera's synopsis


Hello South Street fans! As a dedicated lurker of this site, I was very excited when I got the chance to accompany the saunterers on their South Street adventure. Finally, one item checked off of my Grad School Bucket List! I’d been to Percy Street before, but for an event with a thanksgiving themed limited menu, and this time it was way more fun.

Without further ado then, let’s start with the décor. The outside is decorated with dark red hanging lights in an understated manner – you could miss the place if you weren’t paying attention. Inside the restaurant feels spacious, and it maintains a mix of a picnic and vintage vibe. I can’t describe it better. One of the walls displayed a fun, infographic-like painting of all the ingredients found in each of the alcoholic drinks on the menu. I thought that was super fun. I wish I’d taken a picture, but some other patrons were sitting right in front of the wall. Sadness.

Speaking of drinks, I actually thought Percy Street made an effort to have creative mixed drinks on the menu. Sam and I ordered “The Gentleman Gambler” which was a mix of Art in the Age Sage, gin, cucumber syrup, and lemon, garnished with a cute tiny cucumber slice. Both Sam and I commented on the fact that the gin taste was masked pretty well, which I appreciate, as I think gin in and of itself does not taste all that good. My most favorite drink on the menu however turned out to be Sandya’s “Hillbilly Gatorade” – a concoction of Miller Hi-Life, pickle juice, and BBQ sauce. Disgusting, you say? I say delicious and delightful!

Finally, the food! We ordered a bit of everything, and my two favorite dishes were the biscuits (they had fun spreads accompanying them, rather than the usual butter) and the mac n’ cheese side. The mac n’cheese was crunchy on the outside but yet also very creamy. My least favorite dish sadly was the teeny tiny quail, but oh, it was the cutest little quail dish ever. So, I give it the “cutest tiny quail dish” award. The dishes also came with their three levels of BBQ sauce. From least to most spicy they were called “sweet thang,” “old faithful,” and “hot mess”. They were displayed in cute tiny color-coded bottles (I apparently have a thing for “cute tiny”). I am a huge fan of everything spicy so I had high hopes for the hot mess one. It was spicy, but alas, not enough. I got the ribs for my entrée but by that point we were all so full that I actually barely had any and I just took it home for dinner. They were alright, but would have been better with the BBQ ssauce. For dessert, the Strawberry Rhubarb milkshake with homemade oreo was quite good, but by that point I was barely enjoying it because I was very, very full.

So, overall, I think Percy Street BBQ had good food (and even better company!). I think I would go back to it for an order of biscuits and a glass of Hillbilly Gatorade – the breakfast of champions ;)

P.S. As a joke, and because I’m really procrastinating doing my actual work-writing, here’s a tiny poem (rhyme scheme shamelessly plagiarized from that one Christmas poem):

T’was a typical Sunday when we decided to meet
For good food and company, at 9th on South street
The drinks were creative and prepped with much care
Between biscuits and cornbread, there was plenty to share!
With drinks in one hand, and barbecue handy
It’s always much fun, hanging with Sam and Sandy!

Percy Street BBQ
900 South Street
Philadelphia, PA
(215) 625-8510

No comments:

Post a Comment