Monday, August 18, 2014

#46 Starbucks and #47 Berry Sweet - Sam's synopsis

What can I say about Starbucks? It's a little bit more than a Subway, because the food is slightly higher quality (but incredibly overpriced). I walked by the original Starbucks in Seattle. The line was out the door, and it didn't seem worth it to wait around - especially since I don't drink coffee. I don't really even like Starbucks all that much - there are better places to get non-coffee beverages. I guess the only thing I do like about Starbucks is that it makes me think of Battlestar Galactica. That's your semi-non sequitur for the day.

This Starbucks is like any other Starbucks. The decor is that faux-wood and pine green you always see. It is pretty spacious, and there are some tables outside to enjoy the weather. There seemed to be only one person working, and he was very friendly and efficient for having to manage making drinks, preparing food and ringing customers up. I ordered a caprese panini and an Arnold Palmer (which probably has some stupid Starbucks jazzed up name that I can't remember, but for those not in the know, it's half iced tea and half lemonade). The caprese panini was fine, nothing special - it was nice that they warmed it up for me instead of having to eat it cold. The iced tea was also nothing special, and had way too much ice in it. But then again, I feel like most coffee shops put in way too much ice into their iced products. Sandya ordered a chocolate croissant, which I'm 95% certain are the ones you can order from Williams and Sonoma because they look and taste identical. Not that that's a bad thing, and I expect nothing more or less from Starbucks. She also ordered a pretzel with cheese on top, although the cheese was sort of baked in. I think I liked this the best, but I was in a sort of savory mood knowing that we were going to get frozen yogurt next. So overall, it was a Starbucks. I got exactly what I expected - overpriced food and beverage items of mediocre quality.

doesn't it sort of remind
you of a factory?
After finishing our "coffee" run, Erin joined us and we crossed the street to partake in some frozen yogurt (or fro yo. I still feel weird saying and/or typing fro yo). Fro yo (I'm going to attempt to get used to this) is not really my favorite thing - I mean, I like it and all, but I'm an ice cream girl. Growing up where there are at least 3 businesses based solely on homemade ice cream within a 10 mile radius makes it hard not to want real ice cream. I was actually surprised and a little confused as to why so many frozen yogurt places existed in Philly. Where are all the ice cream stores?! Why is Franklin Fountain so expensive (although tasty)?! Do I really have to go to Ben and Jerry's to buy ice cream cake? Granted, Ben and Jerry's is pretty good, but it's no Ice Cream Smuggler. Also, I'm really bad at making decisions, so I put way too many toppings on my frozen yogurt and then I have to pay for a pound of sugar. Which is more expensive than an actual pound of sugar. But I digress.

so much sugar
Sweet Berry has some of the better tasting frozen yogurt I've had - I sampled cookies and cream (okay, but the cookie flavor was a bit on the artificial side), salted pretzel caramel (this was delicious! nice sweet and salty balance and not artificial at all) and dark chocolate (pretty standard chocolate flavor). I piled on the toppings - I think I had brownie bits, peanut butter cup pieces, toffee pieces, rainbow sprinkles, chocolate sauce and maybe some caramel sauce for good measure. You can't really go wrong with candy, brownies and liquid sugar. I liked Berry Sweet, the yogurt itself wasn't overly saccharine and the topping variety was good. Although they did not label their topping choices, which means you had to play the guessing game for some of them - not good for anyone with allergies, etc. And the inside of the store sort of reminded me of a candy factory, or maybe the candy department at the Toys 'R Us in Times Square. Lots of bright colors, with that well-oiled machine feel to it.

In the end, I think my strategy needs to be pick one flavor of frozen yogurt and a few toppings to complement it. But then again, if I had the choice I'd always shell out the extra few bucks and get some real ice cream instead.

Starbucks
600 S. 9th Street (eep!)
Philadelphia, PA
(215) 923-2389

Berry Sweet
901 South Street
Philadelphia, PA
(215) 922-2334

No comments:

Post a Comment