Thursday, March 6, 2014

#28 Rex 1516 - Jason's synopsis

Find below Jason's review for Rex 1516! It's a bit lengthy, but we all know how much Jason is a fan of both length and girth ;)

Hello fellow Saunterers!

I have to say, I am a huge fan of brunch, so when Sam invited me to join her at Rex 1516, I was thrilled. I came to Rex with absolutely no preconceived ideas or opinions – I didn’t even check out their menu before hand! I just hoped it was going to be a great place to eat and boy was I satisfied. 

The restaurant is on the small side, probably seating at most forty people in the dining area at the front, with about a dozen more in the back at the bar.  The interior is very tastefully decorated with a darker, tavern like feeling.  The walls were decorated with numerous sketches from what I think was old London, a theme maintained throughout the establishment, including the bathroom, which was clean and nicely decorated. It definitely would have felt right at home in Old City. The lighting was a little dim for my tastes, at least for brunch, especially given the darker colors of the decorations, but that’s probably me just being snobby.  The bar was notable for having a beautiful cream-colored marble top. The tables and chairs were simple yet tasteful, arranged a bit cozily to maximize the limited space. All in all, the décor was very pleasing and definitely set a relaxed yet slightly refined mood for the meal. 

Our reservations were for 11am, which is when Rex opens for brunch on the weekends. I arrived early and was happy to note that there was already a small crowd of a half a dozen people hoping to get in early. By the time the rest of our party arrived some fifteen minutes later the restaurant was already quite busy, definitely a good sign. 

It was only when I began perusing the menu and talking with the rest of our group that I learned that Rex specializes in Southern style cooking. Anyone who knows me knows that my go-to brunch item is waffles, so after a quick scan through the menu I settled on their chicken and waffles entrée, although I must admit I was distracted by some very delectable offerings. In addition to their regular alcohol offerings, they had a special set of brunch cocktails that seemed especially enticing (at least to the drinkers at the table). As a non-drinker, I was slightly annoyed that there was no clear indication on any of the menus of what non-alcoholic drinks were available but was happy to have some hot tea after I flagged down a waitress. 

cock*ahem*tail
I cannot in good conscience give a review of this restaurant without calling attention to the most amusing ornamentation that adorned Sandya’s Bloody Mary. The drink comes with a piece of pickled okra that, along with a pair of small olives, was skewered in a manner that I can only describe as…distracting. Much amusement was had as we all commended Sandya for managing to enjoy her, er, cocktail with the offending fruit constantly getting in the way. I eventually relieved her of this burden, having expressed an interest in giving it a taste, but not before she first sampled the olives (salty!) and at least a small portion of the okra (just the tip). 

The wait time for our meals was reasonable given the size of our party and the general level of business. The wait staff was friendly and attentive, but nothing spectacular. In fact, our waitress couldn’t remember Sandya’s entrée and had to come back and confirm it shortly after taking our orders, something that I found a little out of the ordinary.  Additionally, Erin’s order of sweet potato home fries came as regular home fries, and Sam had to ask a second time for the milk for our tea – simple fixes all in all, and most likely due to early morning rush, but still things that one can’t help but note.  Aside from those small hiccups, everything went very smoothly and I had no real complaints from the wait staff who were quick to respond to requests and were friendly throughout. 

chicken and waffles
Finally…the food! As mentioned, I opted for the chicken and waffles benedict, which came with poached eggs covered in a creole Hollandaise sauce and home fries, priced at $13.  The presentation was very appetizing, the food was hot and, simply put, delicious.  The waffle was still warm and not too dry, with the barest hint of nutmeg or cinnamon. The chicken was lightly breaded and incredibly juicy; I am hard pressed to think of another time I’ve had such a perfectly cooked piece of fried chicken breast. The eggs were, in a word, perfect. What really made the dish, however, was the Creole Hollandaise sauce, which lent the entire dish a decidedly spicy and savory flavor. I was initially a little saddened that the dish did not have a lot of sweetness to it – something that I enjoy in my brunches to foil the savory and spicy – but I quickly fell in love with the dish and would strongly recommend it to anyone who has a taste for something spicy. The home fries were an excellent vehicle to mop up every last drop of the delectable sauce, which I did with gusto. 

biscuits and gravy
shrimp and grits
Other entrées that were ordered by our party included the Huevos Rancheros, Biscuits and Gravy, Shrimp and Grits, and Cajun Croquet Madame. Everything was similarly delicious and well presented.  I think everyone was torn between wanting to share their amazing dishes and keeping it all to themselves. There was not an empty dish when we were done and I can confidently say all were a hit. I will note that Sandya had expressed high hopes for her Shrimp and Grits, the restaurant’s signature brunch item. Having been unable to find a restaurant to top what she enjoyed at Devil’s Alley many years prior, she was elated to find that Rex’s grits were even better, something which I suspect she will come back and enjoy again in the near future. 


heaven on earth
Just when we thought we were done, our waitress surreptitiously dropped dessert menus for us. We initially lamented that we could not possibly eat more, but were incredibly curious of their first item, adorably titled “Milk and Cookies.” Unable to ignore a good mystery, we decided to order one for the table.  What came can only be described as a small taste of culinary heaven. Five golf-ball sized pieces of fried chocolate and pecan cookie dough truffles were eagerly pinched by the suddenly ravenous party who somehow managed to dunk said truffles into a small glass of rum-spiked milkshake without spilling any of it over the table.  The self-control was as notable as the richness and perfection of the dessert itself.  Did I say it was a taste of heaven?  Forgive me, I must still be dreaming. Something this delicious can only be described as the most perverse of sins. I will note that the desserts were a little on the pricey side but are large and rich enough to be shared, at least between two people. I would definitely recommend a taste. 

All in all, I was incredibly pleased with my dining experience at Rex 1516. The richness and quantity of food was very fairly priced – almost cheap compared to other brunch places I frequent that don’t quite match this level of culinary achievement. I will definitely be returning. I am also happy to note that they do have a complete gluten-free menu for both brunch and dinner, so don’t shy away from bringing all your friends – including me!

~Jason

Rex 1516
1516 South Street
Philadelphia, PA
(267) 319-1366

No comments:

Post a Comment