Saturday, March 22, 2014

#29 The Quick Fixx - Sam's synopsis

Quick Fixx's motto is "Good Food Fast," and I have to agree with it.

fried deliciousness
For once, Sandya arrived earlier than expected (sorry Sandya, but you know you have a reputation for being late...), so she had ordered some pierogies to tide her over until I showed up. They were filled with potato, cheddar and jalapenos. The filling was smooth and creamy, and the jalapenos weren't overwhelming (surprise surprise, I'm not a big fan of jalapenos). We also decided to get another appetizer once I arrived - the panzarotti poppers. These consist of fried dough balls filled with goat cheese, shallots and chives served with lavender honey. Yowza! These things are dangerously good, although I would almost call them more of a dessert than an appetizer because of the fried dough and honey components. You couldn't really taste the shallots or chives, which is too bad because I personally love both of those flavors, but the salty/sweet combo is really well balanced. And the lavender honey is absolutely delicious. I would love some for my tea. (earl grey. hot.)

a colorful pizza
For dinner I was feeling a flatbread, so I ordered the "retro pesto" - pesto, grilled chicken, fontina and red pepper crema. I really enjoyed the crust, very thin and crispy. The toppings were very good too, although the chicken was sometimes prone to fall off and wasn't the best quality, but definitely better than the standard grilled chicken as a topping you find at a lot of other restaurants. Also, for the type of restaurant this place is billing itself as, it was definitely on par with what I expected. Their pesto is also pretty flavorful, and I liked the red pepper crema, it had a little bit of spice to it which worked well with the dish.

see what I mean now?
The decor inside is really great too - it manages to feel cozy and neighborhoody while also capturing an overall hip urban vibe. I particularly liked the photo of a city block mapped out as a full circle - I think that photo pretty much captures the feeling you get from the restaurant (see my photo of the photo (PHOTOCEPTION) to get an idea of wtf I am talking about since I am terrible at describing this).

I had a bite of Erin and Sandya's meals as well (the smokey roman and gnocchi lasagna, respectively), which were equally delicious. Every now and then I have a craving for some hearty, filling pasta, and Quick Fixx is the perfect place to get this without having to shell out a ton of money.

whiskey and pickle juice
As an added bonus, we stopped at Bob and Barbara's afterwards for a pickleback - a shot of whiskey chased by a shot of pickle juice. It's a Philly tradition that everyone should try at least once - and we'll be back for the famed Philly Special soon, because you can't write a blog about South Street without stopping at Bob and Barbara's for the Philly Special.

The Quick Fixx
1511 South Street
Philadelphia, PA
(267) 273-1066

No comments:

Post a Comment