Sunday, February 23, 2014

#27 Jet Wine Bar - Sam's synopsis

Jet Wine Bar is a delightful little nook on South Street. I call it a nook because it's fairly small inside, with maybe 10-12 seats at the bar and another 3-4 at the window, plus a few ledges for standing room. I've been here once or twice before, and always enjoyed my experience. 

This time, I opted for the flight of wine, which we all opted for - so we had 9 glasses of wine at the window; always a plus in my mind. For $10, you get a red, white and rosé. You guys, we are really terrible at actually taking notes on what we have, so I don't remember the types of wine we had to drink. I also don't know much about wine beyond the basics - aerate the wine to release the flavors, use different shaped glasses to enhance the tasting experience, etc. Whenever I taste wine, I just want to claim that it has an oaky afterbirth and see if anyone notices my subtle Office reference (fun fact! that quote comes from the episode "Dinner Party," which might actually be the most painfully awkward 22 minutes of television to ever air. I still have trouble getting through that entire episode). I used to be a big fan of white wine, but I am coming to enjoy red more and more, especially malbecs (see, wine words! I know things!). With my newly refined tastebuds, I would put the red at the top of the list, with the white wine a close second, and the rosé at the bottom of the list as an emphatic meh. It wasn't that great, but the white had a nice dryness to it, and the red was fruity but not too sweet. 

We decided to get some appetizers to share, but since I was starving I also ordered a sandwich for myself. They had an avocado BLT that you could add a friend egg to, so I was sold immediately. We also ordered mac n' cheese and brussels sprouts. Erin ordered a dish with mushrooms and some bruschetta, but I don't like mushrooms and the bruschetta had gorgonzola on it, which I am also not a fan of - so I can't comment on how tasty those were. I really enjoyed my sandwich and would say it was definitely on par with the one I had at Miles Table (go revisit that review for a description!). The mac and cheese was definitely hearty, but I felt like it didn't have enough flavor to it - it could have used a little more seasoning/spice to it - I actually think dill would work very well. The brussels sprouts were delicious - thoroughly cooked and not too bitter, with a light sauce. While I didn't have any of the mushroom dish, the pesto that accompanied it was to die for - a perfect blend of ingredients. 

I want to point out that we were originally going to go on a Thursday night, where they host a movie with free popcorn. Their calendar also boasts of Tuesday tastings, Wednesday DJs, etc. It was also was pretty evident that Jet is a local neighborhood hangout, but even as a non-regular the service and food/drinks were spot-on. I think I would go here more often, but it seems every time we try and come by, the place is full of regulars - which of course I can't fault Jet for - if you deliver great wine, food and service, you should have that many regulars.

the bike parking is a corkscrew!



Jet Wine Bar
1525 South Street
Philadelphia, PA
(215) 735-1116

No comments:

Post a Comment