Saturday, February 22, 2014

#27 Jet Wine Bar - Sandy's synopsis


Ah, wine. I don't drink enough of it. Part of the reason for this is because I do not go to places like Jet Wine Bar unless it is part of the highly ordered prolonged bar/restaurant crawl for this blog. That, fellow south street fans, is a grave mistake on my part. For even though I have been to Tria at its many outlets, and I love Tria -  I believe Jet does a much better job of making wine accessible. It also does a better job of creating an atmosphere of casual elegance.

So what is it particularly that Jet does so correctly to facilitate a great place to drink wine. They have a fun happy hour almost every day of the week. My personal favourite is their Thursday night movie night from 9pm onwards. What really steals the cake for me are their $10 wine flights which are available every day (I believe). This is a great way to taste different kinds of wine without burning a hole in your wallet and makes it accessible to so many more people by not restricting to just a special on one day of the week (like Tria does. Now I love Tria's Sunday School and it accomplishes a similar thing, but being only on Sunday is very restrictive)



As you might've gleaned from the above photo of my wine flight for the night, the lighting is pretty dim in there. It's problematic for blogging purposes but not otherwise. You could still see people's faces very clearly so conversation didn't involve awkward squinting. Sam and Erin who were with me can maybe vouch for that. Infact, I think their lighting is very pretty, evidenced by this next, probably also horrible photo.


Another aspect of Jet Wine Bar is that their food is very good. We ordered some mushroom bruschetta, mac and cheese and brussels sprouts. Sam also ordered a sandwich for dinner. Everything was very tasty. I have a minor issue with the mac and cheese in it not being cheesy enough - but that is also because I like my mac and cheese to be creamy and cheesy enough to threaten instant blood clotting. Jet clearly wants their customers to leave in the same state of physical health that they came in and perhaps a slightly happier mental state.




So, yes, please go to Jet Wine Bar when you have those wine cravings. 

Jet Wine Bar
1525 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146
215-735-1116

No comments:

Post a Comment