Sunday, February 2, 2014

#26 DELIcious Bites - Sam's synopsis

Normally I am a fan of silly puns, but the MEHness of this deli/mini-market completely overruled any delight I could have possibly obtained from their attempt at cleverness. 

just looking at it makes me feel ill
Yes, the signs advertised hot soup, but there was no hot soup to be found. It was really fucking cold, so hot soup would have been amazing. So, I settled on a prosciutto panini instead, since it's a nice, thinly sliced deliciously salty piece of meat. I emphasize the fact that it's salty and thin, because you generally don't need a lot of it to enjoy the flavor. So imagine my surprise when I get the behemoth of a panini you see to the right. Jesus christ no one ever needs that much prosciutto on a sandwich, and this is coming from someone who loves all things salt-flavored. I literally felt like I was going to die of a heart attack/dehydration after eating half the
sandwich [1) I hope everyone reads this sentence in Chris Traeger's voice from Parks and Rec and 2) I'm not sure why I decided it was a good idea to even eat half of this sandwich in one sitting]. There was also balsamic vinaigrette, mozzarella, roasted red peppers and spinach on the sandwich, but could you really taste it? Absolutely not. In addition, the sandwich was pricey ($12.99! Why did I think a $12.99 panini from a place called DELIcious Bites was worth it?), the service was somewhat slow given how empty it was, and there is no indoor seating. The only thing this place has to offer is that it has a pretty decent selection of eclectic food goodies from around the world, but like my panini, they seemed rather overpriced. I don't forsee myself ever stopping here again unless I am desperate.

some healthier options...
We made our way to Tangier for our usual Monday night quizzo fun times, and it was there that I finally obtained some hot soup of the french onion variety. Why I thought it was a good idea to continue loading my body with salt I'm not sure, but I needed to get the overwhelming taste of meat out of my mouth (LOLZ she said meat in her mouth, okay guys, that one was too easy so you don't get any points for making a dirty joke about it). Since I was running on the very dregs of my paycheck that was issued before Christmas (damn you grad school for only paying us monthly and before the holidays), I ate the second half of the panini the following day for lunch. Let's just say I literally felt ten times worse than when I ate the first half of the sandwich.

DELIcious Bites
1603 South Street
Philadelphia, PA
(215) 546-1860

1 comment: