Thursday, January 7, 2016

#73 Copabanana - Martin's synopsis

I’m a long time eater and a first time blogger of food. For me, food is an experience. So, in my synopsis, I will try not to just chronicle what I ate, but the experience as well.

On the day we went to Copabanana, I had just submitted my last final ever and was about to see Star Wars: The Force Awakens. When Ari and Sam asked me if I wanted to go to Copabanana before the movie, I was ready to relax and have a great time with friends, food, and margaritas.

When we sat down, we could tell our waiter was very new since he was being followed and trained by another waitress. He was wearing a Jägermeister shirt (one of my favorite types of liquor) so from now on, our waiter will be called Jäger. The first thing we did was order margaritas and nachos for happy hour. I wanted to keep the good vibes rolling with good margaritas.

When Jäger came back, he brought out our appetizers, but what caught my attention was the fact that my margarita was in a martini glass. At first, I was shocked and devastated that the margarita I was so looking forward to only came in a tiny martini glass, rather than your typical margarita glass. But, before I was flooded with disappointment, I noticed that Jäger had left a shaker on the table. What was this shaker filled with? Margarita. My sadness was instantly washed away with the realization that my drink could be refilled over and over without having to ask for another margarita. The margarita itself was delicious and strong, and when it was over, I just filled my glass right back up. And in that moment, I swear I was infinite.

Martin enjoying his burger
While I was enjoying my Margaritas on Demand, I also had some of the nachos and guacamole. My verdict – they were okay. Nothing to brag about, but I had my seemingly endless supply of margarita by my side, so I was happy. Jäger came back to get our actual dinner orders.  Copabanana has a variety of burgers to choose from, but I ultimately decided to order the Wild West Burger, a buffalo burger with chipotle ketchup and fried onion rings with a side of fries with cheez whiz. When it came back, my fries were not covered in cheez whiz, but Erin’s fries were. Jäger slightly messed up the orders, but it’s okay. We won’t hold it against him, especially since Erin and I just ate the fries off each other’s plates, and we’re not evil people who yell at waiters and waitresses. So, back to the burger. I ordered my burger medium rare. I think overall, just like the nachos, the burger was okay. Perhaps a little more than okay. It tasted like a buffalo burger should. I think I would have wanted a little more chipotle ketchup, but I enjoyed the crunch that the fried onion rings provided to the burger. However, I feel like it was missing something else. Maybe just more chipotle ketchup. If I ever go back, I’ll be sure to try a different burger and compare.

By the time I finished my burger, I also finished the margarita. One margarita goes a long way. However, I still wasn’t satisfied. I was tempted to order a dessert, but that’s not what I was craving. I was feening for another margarita. I hesitated in what to do. We still had some time to get to the movie theatre, but I didn’t want to overkill the nice buzz I had going on. During this time of great introspection, Erin decided to get another margarita, so I pretty much was on board to get another one. It was great, as expected. While enjoying the second margarita, we were chatting with the wait staff about the upcoming Star Wars movie. I shared the fact that I had just watched the original trilogy for the first time that month and then learned that if you hadn’t seen any of the movies, the best thing to do to prepare for Episode VII is to watch IV, V, II, III, and VI in that order. Interesting. We then finished our margaritas and saw The Force Awakens. If you haven’t seen it, you should.

With great staff, alright food, and beautiful, endless margaritas, my final thoughts on Copa are:

If I had visitors coming out of town, would I go there to show off Philadelphia cuisine?
No.

If I were hungry and at my house, would I go there to grab a bite to eat?
No, because Sidecar is two blocks away from me.

If I were going to the TLA, would I go there to grab food and great drinks (margaritas) to pregame?
Yes. Yes I would. And you should, too.

Keep on eating, Philly.

Copabanana
344 South Street
Philadelphia, PA
(215) 923-6180

No comments:

Post a Comment