Friday, January 8, 2016

#73 Copabanana - Sam's synopsis

I am very sad that my good friend Kate (one of our blog's biggest fans) was not able to attend this stop while she was in town visiting. Upon hearing that someone was shot at the Copabanana in West Philly, she immediately asked "Was his name Tony?" Sadly, the joke went over all of our heads, but that's just how steeped in pop culture Kate is (or maybe she just really likes Barry Manilow). Next time Kate, next time.

residual strawberry maragarita
floating in my drink
We decided to stop here before viewing the new Star Wars movie. A large group (~11 people) of us were going to see the movie, so 5 of us (Sandya, Erin, Ari, Martin and myself) decided to enjoy some margaritas and pseudo-mexican fare beforehand. It was very empty for a Thursday evening, which is not entirely surprising because both this Copabanana and the one in West Philly tend to populate later at night, with either people from New Jersey at the South Street location or Penn and Drexel undergrads at the West Philly location. We had a nice large table to ourselves, and our waiter was probably working his very first shift ever, because he was being shadowed and kept forgetting to ask everyone how they wanted their burgers cooked. But, he was a very friendly waiter and given that he was clearly new and learning the ropes, I don't fault him in the slightest. The entire staff was very friendly, so that's a definite plus in my book.

too flimsy!
I went with a classic margarita on the rocks, which was delicious. A great balance of all the ingredients and an entire shaker full - it definitely goes the distance. My one complaint was that my margarita had a bunch of red bits floating in it - most likely from a previous strawberry margarita that was mixed in the shaker as someone pointed out. I'm pretty laid back so I didn't make a big deal out of it, but I can see how that might make some people a little annoyed. It didn't stop me from ordering a second one though, so no hard feelings.

For food we ordered some guacamole and chips as an appetizer. The guac was decent, but the chips weren't my favorite. They seemed a little stale, and were too thin to the point where they would break in half as I tried to scoop guacamole out. Gotta have sturdy chips for dipping. One thing I like about their menu is that you can order a variety of patties under the burger section: beef, veggie, chicken or turkey. I don't like hamburgers so it's nice to have a lot of other options. I went with the Charleston (cheddar, fried onions, and BBQ sauce) on a chicken patty. It was enjoyable but nothing over the top. I felt like the ingredients were well-balanced but the flavor was pretty typical. I opted for a side caeser salad (I wasn't feeling fries that night and wanted to save room for movie popcorn), which was good. The lettuce was fresh and there was just the right amount of dressing.

I don't think I'd normally choose to dine at Copabanana, but it's a great place to grab a margarita that's worth the money you pay for it.

Copabanana
344 South Street
Philadelphia, PA
(215) 923-6180

No comments:

Post a Comment