Thursday, January 23, 2014

#24 Pure Fare - Sam's synopsis

filling = yum, bread = yuck
I think that the attitude of the barista at Pure Fare best describes my opinion on the place - blasé.  I can appreciate that everything they serve is gluten-free, even though I do not have a gluten allergy. However, lack of gluten does not always make for tasty treats. That's not to say the sandwich I got, goat brie with figs and arugula, was bad - but the "bread" it was on really ruined the sandwich for me. Bread can make or break a sandwich, and this bread really broke it. It was made with quinoa, and was too dry and flavorless to save the wonderful balance of salty and sweet flavors found in the sandwich filling. I get that it's tough to make good bread without, y'know, the major ingredient of bread, but this tasted like they didn't even try.

touting their healthy options
I got a very nice floral green tea - loose leaf and all. I also had a sip of Sandya's smoothie - it was actually rather tasty, although a bit leafy green for my liking (again, I have texture issues, and that plays a role in smoothies for sure). But, I didn't find that Pure Fare had anything special to offer to me. I imagine my friends with gluten allergies are happy to have a place like this, but wouldn't you rather get a cookie down the street at Sweet Freedom?

And to go back to my initial comment, our barista was in no way rude, she just didn't seem like she cared one way or another about what we ordered, or about anything in general, really.

Pure Fare
1609 South Street
Philadelphia, PA
(267) 687-2292

No comments:

Post a Comment