Thursday, January 9, 2014

#23 Miles Table - Sam's synopsis

the neighborhood should be eating here
Guys, I think this is a first for me. This is the first time I've been to a place and really been blown away by how great the food was, without expecting much beforehand (I clarify here because I was fully expecting Pumpkin to be great, which it was, but I didn't know much about Miles Table beforehand). Although now, as one downside, I had to look up if there was an apostrophe at the end of Miles, because I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be possessive or not. 

what a cozy booth!
So the first thing I want to discuss about Miles Table is the music they were playing. I was very happy with their selection, but it was also best described as "sad music that might accompany someone contemplating suicide in a Wes Anderson movie," although they did not play "Needle in the Hay" by Elliott Smith. They did however play Sun Kil Moon's cover of "Tiny Cities Made of Ashes," which is a song I never thought I would hear in public, let alone in a cheery-looking restaurant and "Piazza, New York Catcher" by Belle and Sebastian, which IS on the Juno soundtrack. Anyways, I'll stop convincing everyone how cool I am with my somewhat obscure musical tastes and get to the actual food part.

long restaurant is long
The restaurant itself was very cozy, although rather long. We sat in the big leather seated booth near the front, and I felt like the order counter was very far away. Not a bad thing to be a spacious place though, just an observation. The menu was full of really delicious sounding food, but I settled on an avocado BLT. The perfect balance of breakfast and dinner food (they serve breakfast all day!), made even better by the addition of a fried egg. Have I mentioned how much I love any dish with a fried egg as part of it? So there's that. My sandwich was fantastic. The bread was perfectly toasted, the bacon was a great balance of crispy and fatty, and the veggies on the sandwich tasted very fresh. The sandwich came with homemade potato chips, which were the right amount of crispiness but could have used some seasoning. I only had half of it, but I ate the rest for breakfast the next morning, and it was somehow even better after sitting in the fridge overnight. It's always a good sign that your food gets better with age, right? I also had a bite of the falafel burger and french fries, and they were both heavenly.

soo... tasty...
We were the only ones in the restaurant, and I think we were overly excited talking about how great the menu was, so the chef sent us out some complimentary empanadas, which was a very pleasant surprise! There was a veggie one, a seafood one, and a meat one (I think it was spicy pork?). The veggie one was a little bland, but the pork one was rather savory. I heard the seafood one was amazing, but I don't really like shrimp, so I skipped out on it. It was a nice gesture regardless, and the guy who took our order was also very friendly, so in addition to delicious food, there's a friendly staff to boot.

bread pudding!
Despite the fact that we were stuffed, we decided to split dessert - but there were 5 of us, so it was definitely doable. We ordered a chocolate chip bread pudding, topped with vanilla ice cream and a sliced strawberry. It was the perfect way to end our dinner. Great consistency, not overly sweet, and all flavors that I enjoy mixed together.

So basically, Miles Table = delicious comfort food + friendly staff + bright, cozy interior and is well worth a visit. One thing we did not take advantage of was the fact that its BYOB, so I would love to go back for brunch, eat more tasty breakfast foods and drink mimosas.

Miles Table
1620 South Street
Philadelphia, PA
(267) 318-7337

No comments:

Post a Comment