Monday, November 2, 2015

#68 - Circles - Sandy's synopsis



I was extremely disappointed when I heard Tuk Tuk Real was closing. To have Circles take it's place however is the best consolation prize.  Circles is my wife's and mine go-to delivery place for Thai food - we think they are fantastic. We love getting their curries and soups on days when cooking at home seems too gargantuan a task. Now, we can walk 5 mins to go pick food up and eat it at home in our pyjamas. If it wasn't for the blog, I would never have known what it was like to have a sit down dinner at Circles.

Eating Circles food in clothes that were not my pyjamas was definitely weird, but definitely worth it. For some reason, when ordering delivery from Circles, I couldn't bring myself to order appetizers or any of their specialty curries. It was too fancy for delivery. And my pyjamas. So having the option to have a sit down meal meant ordering appetizers and fancy specialty curries.

For appetizers, we ordered the vegetarian steamed dumplings and papaya salad to start. I wasn't the biggest fan of the dumplings but the papaya salad was a win.



For the specialty curry I ordered the Roasted Rohan Duck Curry - which conjured up images of the vast plains of Rohan where...the duck roam alongside the majestic horses? I then realized that the default pronunciation for Rohan in my brain is the Lord of the Rings movie's pronunciation. Even though I grew up in an area of South India where Rohan (pronounced Ro-hun) is a very common name. I'm not sure how it is pronounced in Thailand but I guess what really matters is whether the curry tasted good - and it did. 

   
That duck was succulent and paired wonderfully with the coconut milk based, Panang like curry. 
I also got to taste a bit of the Khao Mok Gai - a braised chicken with a sweet chili and lime sauce on turmeric rice.


The sweet chili lime sauce was unbelievably fresh and delicious and paired very well with the chicken.

All in all, this was a great night of food, and a nice change from sitting on the couch and eating their massaman curry with tofu (also delicious). Circles makes some of the best fried tofu I've had in Philly. If you haven't ordered from Circles before you should. If you can bring yourself to order the fancy stuff on delivery you should, because Rohan would taste wonderful in pyjamas. If not they have three locations - Northern Liberties, South Philly and now Headhouse to choose from for a sit down meal. 

Circles
429 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19147
267-639-2396


No comments:

Post a Comment