Tuesday, June 17, 2014

#37 Saqqara Cafe - Sandy's synopsis


So resumes our journey on South Street east of Broad. Here is unchartered territory - an area I have ventured into very little and therefore do not know what to expect. Yes, yes, I suppose I could expect the unexpected, but that is very stupid advice. 

Our first stop is Saqqara cafe which I will admit I have never had a desire to go into. I don't do hookah and frankly, their menu didn't look the most appealing. However, this is why I love doing this blog because it makes me go and try places I wouldn't have otherwise. In this case, I was pleasantly surprised.

Saqqara cafe is a pretty small establishment with about 6-7 tables. 


A very kindly man greeted us when we entered and showed us to our table. Their menu is a mix of middle-eastern cuisine and american junk food, which was a little strange. I decided to stick with the middle eastern fare and ordered a turkish coffee to start and their chicken kebab platter as my entree.

First for the turkish coffee - it was quite the experience. When I ordered it, I was asked how sweet I wanted it. I like my coffee pretty damn sweet. When it arrived, it was poured into a cup and saucer from a steel  container with a spout, which I imagine was the container it was just brewed in. 


This coffee was amazing. Its flavour was unexpected. Yes, yes, I know what I said before. It was black coffee brewed with cardamom and it was delicious. That coffee already made my trip there worth it. 

As for the chicken kebabs, they came with rice, some vegetables.and a yoghurt based dipping sauce.



The kebabs were lightly spiced, but that doesn't mean it lacked flavour. It was good. What stole the show , however, was the rice. Buttery and salty perfection - if I could just order that rice I would. The kebabs didn't re-heat very well in my opinion and I do like my kebabs with more spices. I wouldn't go here for kebabs, for that I'd go to Kabobeesh. Sam's falafels looked very good however and that coffee really was delicious.

I have one more thing to mention. When we were eating a couple of patrons come in. The person who greeted us when we came in greeted them as well, but with hugs like they were friends. He then grabbed a chair and sat  and chatted with them while they smoked hookah. It was honestly pretty heart warming and spoke to how nice I thought he was at the beginning.

On that note, don't let outward appearances deter you from Saqqara cafe. If for nothing else, go there for the turkish coffee.

Saqqara Cafe
1356 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19147
215-735-0565


No comments:

Post a Comment