Sunday, June 1, 2014

#35 Sweet Freedom Bakery - Stephanie's synopsis


Hello, I’m Stephanie. I’m Sandy’s boo and this entry’s guest blogger. I’m also celiac afflicted and ergo, Sandy and Sam’s go to gluten free aficionado. I can’t tell you  all how excited I was for when these two gals finally reached this section of South Street. I could barely contain my jubilation and my inner fat kid when the time arrived to visit Sweet Freedom and EAT ALL THE SWEETS.


First of all, I don’t bake. I did before I was diagnosed with celiac’s, but I found baking anything gluten free to be terribly difficult and requiring a bunch of esoteric ingredients. So I’m very grateful that places like Sweet Freedom exist to provide easy to consume sweets for those that have a hard time making their own or finding them. Further props to Sweet Freedom because not only are their baked goods gluten free, but they are also free from a multitude of allergens, including eggs, dairy, corn, wheat, soy, casein, peanut, and refined sugar. I’ll confess, I’m not entirely sure what they make their food out of!



Upon arriving to Sweet Freedom, we ordered at least one of each type of sweet that they had (okay, I ordered them in my zealousness. Sandy and Sam were more than happy to get only one thing each). We ordered a fauxtess cupcake, tiramisu, a s'mores donut, a salted caramel cupcake, and two cake balls (one raspberry-flavored and one Samoa girl scout cookie-flavored). 

Fauxtess cupcake and the cake balls

Tiramisu
The group consensus was that the donut came out on top by a large margin. This was my first time having one of their donuts and I was impressed. I’m more partial to Okie Dokie donuts, but these guys were a good 2nd. As for everything else, I’d say it was pretty on par with what I hear about Sweet Freedom from most people. Their frosting is great, but the rest tastes like sweetened cardboard. Which is mostly what I’ve come to expect for most gluten free foods.

Salted caramel cupcake and s'mores donut


So here is where my review comes in as someone who has tried almost every gluten free product available under the sun. When you are forced to live on a restricted diet, these guys are pretty good, especially if you’re looking for something specialized like a birthday cake. But if you’re looking for something to fulfill your sweet tooth’s craving, there are many better options out there for gluten free treats alone. If you are looking to meet multiple dietary needs, say gluten free and vegan, then these guys are your best bet, and they do a really good job with such limitations. So I’d say they are not the best gluten free option in the city, but they are still a place I return to on occasion, when the sweet tooth demands it.

Sweet Freedom Bakery
1424 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19146
215-545-1899


No comments:

Post a Comment