Wednesday, April 23, 2014

#32 Sawatdee - Sandy's synopsis



Sawatdee is a small BYO specializing in Thai food. It has a very inviting exterior with a soft neon green hue that spills through the window. I do admit, irrational as it is, I have wanted to eat here purely based on how happy it looks and makes me feel as I walk by.

However Sam and I staved off the urge to enter this green haven in order to perform a couple of side-quests.
The first one involved going to Tangier and picking up a 6 pack of beer for dinner.
Our second objective was to obtain and ingest what is commonly known as - "the Citywide Special".

So we stopped once more at Bob & Barbera's to have a shot of Jim Bean with a can of PBR.


After bravely completing this task we continued onto Sawatdee. Since Stephanie, the gluten-intolerant of our group was joining us, I asked our waiter if their menu could accommodate her. There was definitely some confusion about what gluten was and even after explaining what we meant it took a little while before it was cleared up. Apparently someone backstage was under the impression that celiac's disease was a rice allergy.  Final verdict? - The curries on the menu can be done gluten free, which is pretty standard for a Thai place.

With that sorted we ordered the spring rolls as an appetizer for Sam and I.



They looked pretty and were very satisfying.

For the entree, I ordered the pad-see-ewe-moo or more commonly called "drunken noodles" with shrimp. I'm not sure why it is called drunken noodles.


Anyhow, the second I put it in my mouth I realized something was missing. It then dawned on me that I hadn't stressed (like I usually do) that I like my Thai food spicy. Rookie mistake. So, the noodles were good, but I cannot give you a true verdict for Sawatdee having not experienced how hot they are willing to make their food. However, it was still very flavourful, despite the lack of heat.

We toyed around with ordering dessert, but decided not too. I recommend trying them if you do go here - their poached banana with coconut ice cream sounds delicious. 

And with that we forge onward on our main quest to conquer South Street. I expect a mini boss battle on Broad street - our self imposed half way point.  I imagine anthropomorphic versions of all the restaurants we gave bad reviews for assembling into one big robot... or something.

Either way, I am going to miss this section of South Street. We have had some wonderful food, some Bob & Barbera's and some very good times.  I wonder if we will hit another food haven like it on our quest. 

Sawatdee
534 S 15th street
Philadelphia
PA 19147
215-790-1299

No comments:

Post a Comment