Wednesday, April 9, 2014

#31 So Crêpe - Sam's synopsis

Nothing beats authentic food. The owner of So Crêpe hails from Lyon, France - a city well known for its many earthly delights. I actually spent a week in Lyon living with a host family during a high school exchange program, and while the specifics might be vague, I have many fond memories of my week there and I did get to partake in several homemade Lyonnaise dishes. My palate was not quite as refined as it is now, so I cannot divulge any delicious details (a.k.a. I have a terrible memory), but trust that it was all phenomenal.

The inside décor is cozy - it's well lit with bright colors, and some obviously French-inspired wall art. I also like that they have two clocks - one for Philly time and one for Lyon time. It doesn't quite feel like a charming french café, but I think it's pretty evident that this restaurant takes it cuisine very seriously and wants to make the food as close to the real thing as possible without actually being in Lyon.

So Crêpe is BYOB, which works conveniently for those of us participating in the Headless Camel Club at Tangier (basically, drink 91 beers in 91 days - I am now half way done with two months left
oh brie, why are you so delicious?
to go, so basically, I've been drinking heavily for a month now). We chose an assortment of beers to bring along so we could both enjoy delicious food and make progress on our lists. For a meal, I went with the So Brie: brie, arugula, pine nuts and sun dried tomatoes. Wow - So Delicious! Having been a brie eater for quite some time now, I've noticed that there is a very obvious difference between high quality and low quality brie. Low quality brie tends to leave a bitter aftertaste in my mouth and is less creamy overall. This brie was most definitely high quality, and on par with what they use at Café Lutecia (one of my favorite little cafés in the city, which also has French owners). The combination of ingredients was perfect, but my only complaint was that the sun dried tomato was more of a garnish than an ingredient - there was a small dollop on top of the crêpe, but nothing mixed in. This, however, did not detract from the dining experience.

For dessert, we decided to split a caramel crêpe - a nice blend of salty and sweet. I think I would have preferred a but more caramel inside, but I like a lot of sugar and sweetness - this is perfect for someone who has a hankering for some dessert but doesn't want anything over the top. I definitely want to return again the next time I'm craving any type of crêpe, and I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a very thin pancake stuffed with sweet and/or savory food items.

P.S. I googled "so crepe doge" and I'm glad to know the internet and I are on the same wavelength.

So Crêpe
1506 South Street
Philadelphia, PA
(267) 761-9310

No comments:

Post a Comment