Wednesday, April 9, 2014

#31 So Crepe - Sandy's synopsis


This is the first crepe place we have encountered on South Street so far and it did not disappoint. The interiors reminded me of Entree with the brick walls, which lend an elegance to most rooms. Like Entree the atmosphere was very welcoming and cozy with shout outs to France on all the walls.

So Crepe has their regular menu as well as specials for the month and boy was I glad when I saw that a mushroom and ham crepe was one of the specials. I don't think I have told you about my love of mushrooms yet - I assure you, it is undying. Before I focus specifically on the mushrooms, let me say that their menu had a lot of creative variety from the junk food-esque hot dog crepe to one with Brie and pears.
So back to the mushroom crepe, this is what it looked like:


The ham and mushrooms were cooked in a creamy Bechamel sauce and my selfish criticism about it is that the ham was a distraction from the mushrooms. I love mushrooms THAT much. The crepe was light and perfect. What stole the limelight however was the mushroom creamon the side. It was the fluffiest, melt in your mouth, mushroom flavoured dollop of heaven you will ever taste. My ideal crepe would be mushrooms cooked in a creamy white sauce with this mushroom cream generously inserted into the crepe.

They had a few dessert crepes on the menu with the popular fruit + nutella offering. The one that caught our eye however was the very simple crepe + homemade caramel. It is a pairing I had never tried before and the menu claimed it was a very traditional dessert crepe.



It was very satisfying -  not too heavy, not too sweet - the perfect end to a heavy main course. Their homemade caramel is very delicious.

If you're hankering for some crepe, this place is a fantastic choice for the center city area. Hell, this whole block is a fantastic choice for the center city area. So buy yourself a six pack at Tangier around the corner and have yourself a great evening at this awesome BYO.

So Crepe
1506 South Street
Phladelphia PA 19146
267-761-9310

No comments:

Post a Comment