Monday, October 14, 2013

#18 South Deli & Grocery - Sandy's synopsis


South Deli and Grocery is a family-run store that sells, as their sign says, "cigarettes, hot food, candy, hoagies...". We stopped in for dinner around 7:30pm and noticed that their most prominent food item was the hoagie. They also sell breakfast (eggs and sandwiches) and coffee and so I can see this being a convenient place to stop by for a quick bite in the morning. I, however, was eyeing up the "Dominican Dinner" which was unfortunately only available till 6 (Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to get this dinner and tell me how it is. This review should self-destruct in 5 seconds. I apologize if it doesn't, you're just going to have to continue reading in that case). 

The reason I was very excited about the Dominican Dinner was because the store seems to be managed by this charming Dominican family and I'm assuming this dinner is something they would cook for themselves. It would thus be delicious. 


Since possibly authentic Latina food was not an option, I caved and ordered a hoagie. As a complete fail in taking notes, journalism and being a competent human being - I've forgotten what hoagie it was. I do remember it had buffalo chicken deli meat and provolone cheese. I clearly do not care much for hoagies and mine was as good I can possible find a hoagie - which is "meh". I ran into the same problem I usually do with them - which is - it ends up being too much meat at the end of the day and I get bored (still talking about hoagies here, not my sex life). However, I gave the second half of the hoagie to my colleague at work the next day to get a less biased opinion, and he said that it was really good. So, for you hoagie lovers, this place apparently is a win. 

We also ordered fries - they were good

There really isn't much here you can't get at a standard food truck (except the Dominican Dinner). So if you are looking for truck food, stop by here and get your fix. The lady behind the grill is very sweet and makes a mean hoagie and you can pick up a pack of cigs and any other grocery item while you wait. 

South Deli and Grocery

1740 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19146

No comments:

Post a Comment