Monday, September 23, 2013

#17 Lazaro's Pizzeria and Grill - Sandy's synopsis


Let me recount to you in some detail the events of Sunday, September 8th 2013. I met up with Sam and we walked down to Lazaro's excited and starving. The prospect of eating a behemoth sized pizza resulted in us "eating light" for the day. The grand plan - get a few friends together, procure a 26" pizza, go to Sam's place and turn the channel to the US Open women's final. Expected results - devour said pizza and Azarenka wins the Open. Well, the evening delivered on one of those things.

It was a very polite building that greeted between 18th & 17th and South. It cautioned us to "watch our step" while at the same time indicating to the world that Italian food was sold here. Genius.


The establishment is rather small, but a standard size for a take-out pizza place. We had called in for our pizza about 30 minutes ahead and it was ready when we got there. We had asked for half our behemoth to be classic cheese and the other half,  white pizza with spinach. To add to all this beauty - it cost us ~$20. 

We walked it home and by we I mean, Sam carried it while I took photos of her.


The pizza did fit through Sam's door but barely. We cleared a lot of space to set it down and waited for our pizza demolition crew. We had assembled a total of 5 people for the job and it was perfect. I think the 26" jumbo pizza is suited for 4 really hungry or 5 moderately hungry people. Lets take a look at her:


The pizza itself was very good. No comments about the white pizza except that I love spinach on pizza and this really hit the spot. The only comment I have about the cheese portion is that the sauce is on the "sweeter" side. Now, this isn't something I noticed until it was pointed out to me. I still loved it, but, i guess it can be an issue to some people. I mean, I can't imagine someone NOT eating pizza cause the sauce was too sweet. I can see someone not wanting to always eat sweet sauce pizza. Especially when you live in the city and there are other options abound.

Anyway, that got devoured very efficiently. Thank you to our crew - Erin, Larissa and Lee for helping us with it and Audra for moral support. And it cost ~$4 per person. So yes, I recommend that if you've got a biggish party that wants pizza - order from Lazaro's - it's great pizza for a great price.

One last time to play me out:


Lazaro's Pizza and Grill
1743 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19146
215-545-2775

No comments:

Post a Comment