Wednesday, February 27, 2013

#4 Fuzhou House - Sandy's synopsis


               









My first thought when standing in front of Fuzhou House was acknowledging that I like the colours green and yellow next to each other. My first thought upon entering the establishment was that is was very much like the TARDIS - much bigger than I expected on the inside. It was downright spacious compared to the "just standing room" space I had imagined for a purely take-out place. 

Here is Sam with the bridge photo she speaks about.
Probably helped make the place seem a little more spacious

Considering all the space and tables, we assumed it was not purely take-out and ergo decided to settle in for an in-restaurant sit down lunch and approached the counter to order our food. I even added "for here" at the end. I began to have a few doubts about our plan when I saw this:



They sell Tea-bag dry noodles!!! No. Not that. I actually don't know what that is. It was the big NO Restroom printout that caught my eye. I did have to pee. We then received our order already packed up in bags as if it were delivery. Which cemented our decision - go back to Sam's house to eat while watching Galaxy Quest - much better plan I say! 
So why am I talking about all this irrelevant shit instead of the food. Well, cause it was standard american-chinese takeout and there isn't too much to say. But let me give you the low-down. I gauge chinese takeout places by their dumplings and I loved these pork dumplings - steamed and then slightly fried on the outside, delicious ginger/garlicky meat on the inside. Garlicky sweet/savoury dipping sauce. All very tasty. 


I got the egg-drop wonton soup which was fine. Good wontons. As an entree I got something I have never heard of before - Bourbon chicken. It was actually very tasty - a good mix of slightly honey-sweet with lots of garlic and chilli flavours. I would recommend trying it if anyone was getting take-out from here. It also lasted me three lab lunch meals - which was fantastic. 

Sam's little picnic table
All in all it was fine. Do I wish the place actually was a TARDIS that I can use to go back in time and avoid eating there? No. Would I ever go there again? Probably not. It isn't close to where I live and the food wasn't THAT mind blowing that I'd go out of my way to order takeout from there instead of someplace closer. If you're in the area for some reason and are craving take-out american chinese - it is good. I will end this post with sharing my fortune with you as Sam did. Fortune 1: "Man's biggest mistake is to believe he is working for someone else." Right. Boring. Fortune 2 was more of a definition really: "A schedule defends from chaos and whim". Lies. Even my anal retentive Google calendar where everything is marked down to the minute doesn't defend from chaos or whim. Besides, I like whim - especially when pronounced Stewie style with stressing the "H".

Fuzhou House
2202 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19146



2 comments:

  1. I need to stop reading your posts when I'm hungry :P

    As I posted on Sam's entry, I relegate American Chinese to the lowest rung of my eating priority, and it sounds like this place is fine all in all. The dumplings look *so* delicious though, I might have to go find some ASAP to quell the hunger pains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That bridge picture behind Sam is the same one in Joe's room!

    ReplyDelete