Tuesday, March 26, 2013

#5 My Thai - Sandy's synopsis



So, from Fuzhou house, we move forward to My Thai, coming one restaurant from finishing the 2200 block of South street. This has taken us awhile, it was a busy block. My Thai is on the South-West corner of 22nd and South, but from their exterior, you'd think they were hidden away somewhere obscure. I counted six "My Thai" signs total, so if you are planning to go here, trust me you can't miss it.



The decor inside is mellow with soft lighting and the clientele was mostly elderly people. It reminded very much of A Mandarin, on 21st and chestnut, same clientele, less mellow decor. If you ever go to A Mandarin, you must get the Noodles with meat and bean sauce - it is fantastic. Is it a bad sign that it is only the beginning of this review and I am already talking about the food at a different restaurant - probably.

See. Mellow. 
Well I guess we should talk about the food. I should warn people that lately I've been eating Thai food from Circles. And anybody who has eaten from there will agree with me when I say the food there is fantastic. They have a delivery only place in south Philly and a .... crap...  talking about another restaurant again... god damn it, focus Sandya! So yes, My Thai's food, was okay. There was nothing bad about the experience or the food, but there wasn't anything outstanding about it. It was just boring. However lets try and highlight some good - they have an expansive menu ( that isn't represented well online). I think I ordered the Nam Prick Ong - which is group pork in a sweet chilli sauce with sticky rice. I wasn't too much of a fan, it was fine.

 
For my entree dish, I wanted to order something I hadn't eaten before. Every time I skimmed the menu, I'd linger on the swordfish with green curry, and this bad ass image of a sword fish would flash through my head. Just cause a fish looks bad ass does not mean it tastes good - I understand this on a basic level - but I couldn't help myself. So I got the swordfish! Yeah! Another good thing about the place, they give you a spice level range of 1-3, but if you ask for 4 - they will give you a 4 or higher. Perfect. But besides being at an appropriate spice level, the swordfish was, just fine. The fish was a little dry, but I haven't had swordfish before, maybe that's how it always is - boring. 

Swordfish. Yawn. 
Well it wouldn't feel right if I didn't bring up the toilet now cause its a good thing about this place, and I feel like there haven't been many. They have cozy display on a table you can stare at from the seat with candlelight and everything. 

Oh, and air freshener - thoughtful. They've also clearly had plumbing issues, so, you ladies who menstruate, be warned:
I'm unclear of what a wasted tampon is, cause I figure if it did its job, it was hardly a waste.  
So all in all, My Thai has a large menu, can make things very spicy, is accommodating of anyone with a gluten-allergy, has a great, romantic, cozy toilet and a polite and friendly wait staff. It is possible I just ordered all the wrong things, but the experience left me, you guessed it, bored. Can't say I will be returning. We should all go to Circles instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment