Friday, February 8, 2013

#3 Ants Pants Cafe - Sandy's synopsis

 


This place is full of lies. It is advertized as an Australian cafe but ne'er did I see a cowboy hat totting crocodile killer for a cashier nor did I hear one Aussie accent. Despite having a kangaroo in their logo, the menu has a Tunisian dish on it and as a BYOB, I wasn't even guaranteed a Fosters. Australian for beer. This was not what Outback Steakhouse has led me to believe anything Australian should be.

What this place is, however, is fabulous. We got free mussels (cooked with shallots, thyme, white wine, garlic and marinara) which was perfect cause I love mussels and free things. That was nice of them. 


Our waiter was great and helpful about gluten-free options on the menu. As far as appetizers went - I think everyone on the table agreed with the sweet potato fries being just amazing. That sweet and chilli sauce was like it was from another continent. 


The Brussels sprouts were good too. I would use the word fantastic here, but the sweet potato fries really did steal the cake (is that the right idiom?). We need to give it its due time in the limelight...



Okay. That is enough time. Here are those sprouts from Brussels...


But to the main course and the thing I've been biting my lip to keep myself from typing until now lest I get caught up in only ranting about it....MAPLE BACON! 
If you take a peek at their menu, I must say they knew exactly how to advertize this dish. That is the name of the dish - maple bacon. Not maple bacon sandwich. Not avocado and bacon on a baguette. Just plain, simple, maple bacon. Cause truly that is all I needed to know. And it was delicious. I'm not a big fan of baguette - there I said it - so I got mine on focaccia. You can get this gluten-free as well just on a salad which I was told was also delish. The photo doesn't do this justice...


Please go there and experience it for yourself. Do what we did, take some wine and good company and have a great night at a cozy little cafe somewhere out there on the prairie...

Or more specifically on 2212 South street, Philadelphia, PA 19146.

**Disclaimer: No kangaroos were hurt during the course of this meal. Unfortunately. I would have definitely had a kangaroo burger or steak if it was on there.**

2 comments:

  1. I share your frustrations about the false advertising! Gah! And also share your enthusiasm for the restaurant; I've only been there once for brunch and it was awesome.

    I must say, even though you and I are supposed to be battling each other for the top spot on Sam's "most awesome grad school friend" list or whatever, you and I have very similar tastes - as soon as I read "maple bacon" my mouth watered, my stomach growled and I immediately zoomed into the picture, forgoing any other superfluous literary commentary on the matter.

    I'm definitely going to have to try this place out for dinner the next time I'm in the area, the food looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, agreed Jason. Im ok with calling it a truce and letting Sam have two awesome friends. One not better than the other. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete