Sunday, January 13, 2013

#2 - Phoebe's BBQ - Sam's synopsis

Before I even comment on the food, I have one major complaint about Phoebe's: the delivery people ALWAYS park in the bike lane!  As someone who bikes constantly in the city (and I bike down South to get home all the time) this is a giant pet peeve of mine.  I often yell at people if they're getting out of their cars after parking in the bike lane, but they never think much of it because, you know, being a car owner makes you superior (side note, I also own a car.  Whether or not I am actually superior is up to you, dear reader). Despite how delicious I thought the food was, I can never think 100% positively of Phoebe's because of this fact.  But enough of my ranting, onto my food musings:

Phoebe's is small inside - clearly take-out only as there are no tables for sitting.  The first thing that caught my eye were the multiple roasted chickens on display in the food case.  Unfortunately, I didn't try any chicken, but I'll at least say from sight it looked pretty tasty.  I decided to go for a pulled pork platter with mac & cheese and sneaky spicy greens.  Since it was take-out only we took our meals back to my place, so I can't comment much on the atmosphere of dining.  If you get a platter, you also get cornbread included, and since we had a gluten allergist among us, I will point out that Phoebe's does a good job of advertising and fulfilling their commitment to being (mostly) gluten free.

I'm not from the South, so I can't comment on authenticity, but overall I found the food appetizing.  I'm quite the wuss when it comes to spicy food, so I went for mild BBQ sauce - sweet and savory (in a good way!).  The mac and cheese was lacking a little in flavor, but overall was thick and creamy (that's what she said okay I got that out of the way can we all move on?).  The spicy sneaky greens weren't all that spicy (given that I could easily tolerate them), but were still up my alley.  The cornbread was a little dry (but I guess cornbread is sometimes like that), but the spices they used in the batter complemented the consistency quite well.  I bet if I had decided to add some melted butter to the bread it would have been that much better.  I had enough food for lunch the next day too, so another added bonus.  This isn't Dinosaur BBQ (Western New York represent), but it's definitely a place I will get take-out from in the future - now if only I could do something about those delivery people parking in the bike lane!
Mmm delicious pulled pork

Phoebe's BBQ
2214 South St
Philadelphia, PA 19146
215-546-4811

3 comments:

  1. random. I have been to the dinosaur bbq

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having had, I think, all of the items you've mentioned sometime in the past, I think I would agree with all of your judgment calls here. The corn bread is almost always on the dry side, but still tasty - I highly recommend buttering it up. The spicy greens are sometimes pretty spicy and sometimes pretty mild, so just be ready. I really recommend trying their ribs at some point though, they are soooo good. As for the mac and cheese - I totally heard Joe's voice as soon as I finished "thick and creamy." XD

    ReplyDelete