Monday, January 7, 2013

#1 Callahans Grille - Sandy's synopsis


I wasn't sure what to expect when we entered this little place. Its always been that place I walk by when I get off the South Street bridge and think to myself “I should go there cause its means beer now instead of later”. I never did stop by and its probably because no one has really heard of this place and it never gets suggested as a place to meet. Ten Stone a couple of blocks down probably steals that show for a pub in the area. 

The tinted windows helped to add to the mystery. And now having been there I can safely say - it is safe to enter and it is awesome - if you are looking for a basic no nonsense pub. It isn’t very crowded and, despite the lack of high ceilings, feels very roomy. As soon as we entered we encountered a blast of human voices and laughter. The crowd was a mix of old men who seemed to be there for a drink (or many) after work, and young people, who, I kid you not, ALL seemed to be there after a workout/sports session of some sort. All of them. There were a couple of different groups of these young exercise enthusiasts who came by through the evening.

The vibe I got though was that this was a low key neighbourhood bar, for both young and old. The decor reminded me a little of Bonners (23rd and Sansom), very basic furniture but clean. Except not as depressing, everyone at Callahan's seemed to be in a good mood and it was contagious and welcoming. Bonners always depressed me a little. Sticking to the bare bones theme, you got your standard 4 beers on tap - Lager, Sam Adams, Stella and Coors Light. The menu was one page with appetizers, homemade soup and chilli, roast beef and pork and an assortments of sandwiches ala of the cheesesteak variety. Our waitress, who was very nice, I believe is also the bartender and cook. With her Igor-like assistant, who first handed us menu’s, she brings a nice homey feeling to the place, as she seemed to know most of the patrons. Unfortunately now, in my head, I have an image of this place turning into Dr. Frankenstein’s Lab after 2 AM, with the last person to leave donating a limb...but I digress. 

The food was very basic but very good. We started with Mozzarella sticks, which hit the spot and I went further with the fried food theme and got their buffalo tenders. A couple of things to add here 1) The price was very reasonable and I had leftover for lunch 2) With a history of some form of irritable bowel - this caused me no bowel related issues as fried food can do. This seems a good time to bring this up - the toilets were, unexpectedly, very clean. Coming back to food -  the tenders were, well, very tender and delicious. All in all, if you are looking for a no frills low key after work drink/dinner, in a happy atmosphere, this is your place. My two cribs - not having the homemade chilli and Christmas/holiday music. It is all they played. I hate holiday music but still managed to get through dinner. That is saying something.

Added quirks: Cigarette machine, one arcade game, Darts.

1 comment:

  1. Those tenders look very tasty! And I'm totally with you on the Holiday Music - no thanks! But it sounds like you all had a great time, I should definitely try this place out next time I'm walking into Grad Hospital area!

    ReplyDelete