Sunday, January 13, 2013

#2 Phoebe's Bar-B-Q - Sandy's synopsis

*Spoiler - this post contains no ribs cause Sam and I do not play by the rules. Or know what good BBQ is*


My favourite part of the night - MOSTLY EATEN CHICKEN CARCASS! But I am jumping ahead. I need to admit to not really being a huge BBQ fan and this possibly comes from the fact that I've never had any mind blowing BBQ. Phoebe's Bar-B-Q was therefore never really on the list of places to try out. My first surprise was how tiny it was (which wouldn't have been a surprise if I'd done any research whatsoever). Turns out, they are a delivery and take-out place only, with absolutely no place inside to eat. There is also no bathroom. What struck me first on the inside was the lysol wipe boxes copiously distributed behind the counter. Then I noticed the copious amounts of hand sanitizer in front of the counter. These were strategically placed next to every menu rack, which as clearly considered the epicenter of germ spreadage if there was going to be any (I sense a germaphobe amongst the management).


The food that was on most prominent display was the stack of whole rotisserie chicken behind the glass. They were mesmerizing, giving you a hint as to where this blog post is going. So yes, I ordered the leg and thigh rotisserie chicken platter which comes with the obvious leg and thigh, cornbread and 2 sides. The choices for sides were your usual southern comfort options - I went with two of my favourites - mac and cheese and baked beans.


Let's zoom in for shits and giggles 
Service was quick. While waiting one can enjoy some awesome telemundo playing on a CRT TV in the corner. Cash and cards are taken. And we were off to Sam's place to enjoy our meal. Bonus event of the night, watching Sam chase a cat down a dark alley way. That description of her is very accurate. No, she did not catch/pet said cat. 

I was hungry and the food was very satisfying. Especially the CHICKEN CARCASS! that resulted from it.

Awesomely gross, I'm sure all of our 1.5 readers wanted to see my half eaten chicken thigh. You are welcome. Moving on - I actually finished everything on my plate which, my mother will attest to being a bloody miracle (except the cornbread - Im not a bread person - look to Sam's post for a "critique" on that). So the food must've been good right? Yes, but not mind blowing. I didn't really crave more. If I never visited Phoebe's again, I'd be ok with that. If I'm looking for take-out BBQ and a quick dinner and I'm in the area, I will have no qualms going there. If only to create a CHICKEN CARCASS! again.

No added Quirks. No Tummy issues.

Phoebe's Bar-B-Q
2214 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19146
215-546-4811


1 comment:

  1. I am incredibly amused that neither of you ordered any of their BBQ'd food! It's very good (seriously, get the ribs). But I agree that the food is pretty good - not mind blowing - and if you are craving southern style comfort food, you can't beat this place.

    Also, you should have seen Sam in Japan. There were moments where I almost wanted to tag her with a radio tracker >.>

    ReplyDelete