Monday, November 14, 2016

#92 - Las Bugambilias - Sandy's synopsis


Las Bugambilias (The bougainvilleas), conjures up for me an image of nostalgia. These flowers are native to more warmer climates and they definitely give me a warm fuzzy as they are common where I grew up in India. It was therefore quite perfect that we had some amazing warm weather that day, that enabled us to sit at a table outside. I am happy to note that the staff were very accommodating about it, even though we were a bigger group of 6 people. In hindsight, if you are a large group, it is easier to sit indoors.

The restaurant was definitely embracing the season/halloween as our servers and hosts were in costume and Mr. Tree-Trunk-Laughy-Face accompanied us for our meal. He was pleasant enough, but I always got the feeling like he was planning something sinister - might've been his laugh.

Mr. Tree-Trunk-Laughy-Face
Las bugambilias serves an array of traditional mexican dishes and there menu is very extensive so take your time to peruse. Additionally, on Sundays they do a brunch buffet that got some great reviews from the other diners in the restaurant.

We decided to start of our lunch/brunch with drinks and I couldn't resist ordering their classic margarita.

Classic Margarita

Besides the gorgeous presentation, the margarita itself was fantastic. Speaking of the presentation, the dining ware, tables, chairs, almost everything at this restaurant is beautiful.

Beautiful dining ware

As we sipped our drinks and enjoyed the weather, I managed to make a decision on what to order. I have for a long time wanted to try "cochinita pibil", which is a slow cooked pork dish. 

Cochinita Pibil

I really wanted to like this dish and truth be told I loved most of it. The beans, plantains and rice were delicious! I however found the pork itself to be a little under salted and lacking flavour. If I did combine the pork with everything else (which is probably what I am probably supposed to do), it was good. I was still a little disappointed. However almost everyone else at the table really liked their meals. Therefore, this will not deter me from wanting to try more things on their menu another time.

Las Bugambilias
148 South street
Phila PA 19147
215-922-3190

No comments:

Post a Comment