Sunday, May 8, 2016

#82 Green Basil and #83 Haagen Dazs - Sandy's synopsis

Green Basil is a new Thai BYOB that opened a few months ago. With Circles a block west and Tamarind a block east, Thai restaurants are becoming commonplace on this part of South street.

The staff at Green Basil are wonderful and very patient and helpful when it comes to choosing your dishes. Green Basil does have some dishes that are unique to them (as compared to Circles at least), particularly in the appetizers section.

To start, we ordered the curry puffs, Thai sausage and papaya salad.

Curry Puffs

Thai Sausage

Papaya Salad

The curry puffs were delicious, the more burnt parts of the thai sausage were fantastic. (That's more my weirdness with sausages. I think people who like sausages would like the non-burnt parts as well.) The papaya salad was decent. 

For my main course, I decided to try one of the fancy whole fish dishes - the pla rad prik - described in the menu as "crispy tilapia with Thai sweet chilli sauce. Spicy."



Turns out, I'm not the biggest fan of deep fried whole fish. The flavours were nice, but it just wasn't my jam. I did, however, get to taste the Massaman curry and that was fantastic! It managed to have a distinct flavour from Circle's massaman curry and I know Steph (who ordered it) liked it better than Circle's Massaman Curry. That is a huge compliment. Keeping that in mind, I definitely want to come back here and try things of the non-whole fish menu. I'm especially excited to try some of their noodles.

All in all it is a good place to have some beers and good Thai food and I clearly would like to go back. It doesn't hurt that it is around the corner from my house.

Later that evening, before calling it a night, we moseyed over to Haagen Dazs for some ice cream. 




I ordered the banana split because 1) I had never had it here before and 2) I like the idea of bananas and icecream (banana milkshakes are the best!). It was okay. It comes with strawberries too which I didn't like. Guess I'm a banana purist. The chocolate fudge though was pretty delightful. 

Overall, I do like going here. Even though they don't have a banana milkshake on the menu, they are always very happy to make me one as they have all the ingredients. Also doesn't hurt that it is around the corner from my house and I am not a Rita's fan. I will say, finding out that Haagen Dazs is an American chain and not some fancy European chain, kind of blew my mind. I did not know that. 

Green Basil
240 South Street
215-644-8180

Haagen Dazs
242 South street
215-925-3373

Philadelphia PA 19147





No comments:

Post a Comment