Tuesday, April 21, 2015

#62 - Ishkabibble's II - Sandy's synopsis


I need to preface this review with admitting that I'm not a cheesesteak fan.

Ishkabibble's II toots it's horn for two things - for having the best cheesesteak in Philadelphia and for a drink called the gremlin. That is what I prepared myself to have whilst there. 

Ishkabibble's ordering works on the number system, where you order up at the counter, you get a receipt with a number on it and then you find a table to sit and wait for your number to be called. I ordered a buffalo chicken cheesesteak (as I figured having something slathered in buffalo sauce will make me forget I'm eating a cheesesteak) and cheese fries. I also ordered the gremlin which is a drink containing grape soda and lemonade. I assume the ratios of one to the other are a trade secret. 

Sam and I proceeded to a table and people-watched while we waited for our food. There aren't too many tables to sit at but there is a rather quick turnaround of people. This isn't really a place you sit for an hour finishing your meal. 

Our number was called and our food was ready to be picked up from the counter on cafeteria-like trays.


Lets start with the cheesesteak - firstly, my devious plan failed. There was so little buffalo sauce I could barely taste it.


There was alot of cheese though which was nice, but on the whole, it seemed flavourless - just a lot of chicken in a nice soft roll. I wasn't a fan. 

The gremlin though was a pleasant surprise - grape soda should be more popular and available everywhere. It was delicious.


The best part of the meal though was the cheese fries. I also don't have a photo of it (of course I don't).
The fries were perfectly salted, perfectly sized with a healthy dose of cheese wiz. Well, healthy is probably the wrong word to use there. Also, why is cheesesteak one word?

So, I probably ordered the wrong thing again, but the cheesesteak just wasn't for me. If you are hankering for some sandwiches with fries as a quick food option when in the area, this place might be your thing. 

Ishkabibbles II
517 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19147
215-922-0494

No comments:

Post a Comment