Tuesday, April 7, 2015

#61 Tattooed Mom - Sam's synopsis

friends + colors + kitsch
My first impressions upon walking into Tattooed Mom were "how have I never been here before?" - which is probably a good way to start a visit. The inside consists of overly saccharine colors and has a lot of figurines from obscure media series - Erin spotted the robot from Cromartie High, among others. I was going to link to a picture but instead I recommend everyone type in "cromartie high" into google image search and just look at the pictures that show up. The bar has a divey feel to it - I think it's the kitschy feel of the layout and the almost child-like way of ordering food. I say that because it was Thursday, which is apparently Pierogi Thursday, where you can get individual pierogis for 50 cents. But you fill out a piece of paper, almost like a worksheet assignment from 5th grade, and your writing utensil is a crayon. Also, there are bowls of dum dums on all the tables, and those frog hopper toys, except they were actually rabbits and not frogs, and mini versions of those games where you have to try and roll multiple small silver balls into holes and it's really hard because you want to throw it out the window. These things. I don't think either of those toys has an official name, but maybe someone can correct me. All of these childlike qualities, the brightly colored walls and the mismatched tables, couches and chairs gives the place a sort of surreal feel, but maybe that's why I liked it so much - it jives very well with my personality.

fill in the blanks: pierogi ed.
dem pierogis
Since it was Pierogi Thursday, I of course ordered some pierogis - 4 to be exact, which I scrawled out in crayon. I ordered a cajun lime ranch dipping sauce and decided to see how full I felt after this before ordering more food. The pierogis themselves weren't bad - they were salty and hearty but not overly flavorful, but I don't think this is necessarily a bad thing. There are a lot of dipping sauces to choose from, so it's best to keep the dipper on the blander side so you can maximize pairings of sauces. The cajun lime ranch dipping sauce was delicious, creamy and had just the right amount of kick to it. I'd definitely recommend it. After finishing my pierogis, I decided I wanted more food so I ordered a veggie burger and curly fries. The curly fries never did come out (I don't think the waitress remembered to write it down), but that was for the better. Turns out I was more full than I anticipated and those fries would have been way too much. The veggie burger was good, nothing extraordinary but a nice patty that had a mix of beans and corn. If you've been to Doobie's, I'd say the offerings on the food menus are very similar.

excuse me miss, I believe
there's a baby in your drink
As far as a bar goes, the beer selection was pretty standard. They had a nice variety of offerings with a lot of local choices, but nothing extremely rare. I had the Abita Strawberry Harvest Lager, Hop King from Evil Genius, and a Yards Brawler to end the night. They also have a nice collection of cocktails, that didn't seem to be super outstanding but do sometimes contain tiny purple baby figurines in them. Tattooed Mom also has some fun beer events, one being a barleywine extravaganza that I attended recently which had a nice selection of barleywines both local and from afar, some being more rare than others. I will comment that I was less impressed with the staff on that visit then the one for our blog outing - they were a bit rude at the end of the event and I did not appreciate that. But overall the service is fine - nothing to write home about, good or bad.

Tattooed Mom was a fun experience with a big group of friends, and it's a very laid back atmosphere. I'd definitely go back to enjoy a beer or two, or maybe spend a Friday night getting progressively drunker in a relaxed environment (*sigh* ... I still miss you Tangier...)

Tattooed Mom
530 South Street
Philadelphia, PA
(215) 238-9880

No comments:

Post a Comment