Wednesday, January 28, 2015

#55 Evil Eye Cafe - Sandy's synopsis


Evil Eye cafe is a Turkish themed coffee shop with a great selection of salads and desserts. They also have a great selection of evil eye art on the wall, none of which I took a photo off apparently. It's a small, clean, cozy place with about 5 tables and a very sweet lady behind the counter to take your order. 


Before placing your order, however, make sure you have cash on you as the establishment is cash only. There is a conveniently located ATM opposite the cafe. 

To start, I went with this puff pastry stuffed with potatoes.


It looked delicious but was a little too bland for my tastes. 

For my main course, I decided to go with one of their salads.  I tend to hate salads unless they are the non-traditional kind where the base is not lettuce. Here I had a choice between cous-cous and bulgur. Since I couldn't decide which, I was told that I could get a plate with both on it. Perfect.


The cous-cous salad (white one on the right) was extremely delicious and refreshing. Light, with an occasional burst of sweetness from maybe ricotta and some honeyed nuts all mixed in with some savoury herbs. Just typing this out is making me crave it. 

The bulgur salad was heavy on the cucumber and tomatoes and tasted slightly sour. It wasn't my favourite but it wasn't bad. 

We also ordered dessert. I had the chocolate cheesecake, which was pretty standard - heavy dense cheese cake with a crumb crust.


We were at a cafe and I couldn't leave without ordering their Turkish coffee.


It was a very strong, delicious coffee that came in a very pretty cup and saucer. I do want to give a shout out to the Turkish coffee we had at Saqqara cafe though - still the best one in my books.

In summary, it was a pleasant experience. The cous-cous salad was out of this world and I will definitely go back for that. I would also like to try their milkshakes sometime. So, until then, I encourage YOU to go enjoy some great cous-cous salad at Evil Eye Cafe.

Evil Eye Cafe
628 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19147
267-872-7560

No comments:

Post a Comment