Monday, January 19, 2015

#54 Latin Flavor - Sandy's synopsis


So, Latin Flavor was this little restaurant that popped up sometime at the end of last year that almost slipped under our radar. I didn't even have it up on a map. It was so new, there were only three reviews on Yelp - all positive. It is also what made this a little more exciting. Clearly almost nobody had been here so we didn't really have any past prejudices or opinions to influence our decision.

When we first entered, almost an hour and a half after they had opened, we were told that they were cleaning and weren't seating people. Which was weird, as it was empty and it looked very clean. Anyway, after a couple of exchanges we were told we could take a seat.

From glancing at the menu it seemed predominantly cuban cuisine. As we continued to peruse the menu in more detail, we were given some pressed garlic bread to start. It was alright and seemed a little stale.


Sam and I decided to order the yucca fries as an appetizer. These were pretty delicious. Since Yucca is rather uncommon in Philly restaurants is was a pleasant change from the usual potato fries (freedom fries?). It also came with a delicious dipping mayo sauce.


I had also ordered a coffee, which I really should've done after my meal instead of during. It was delicious either way.


So for the main course they had many versions of meat cooked in various ways, from stews, to curries to sandwiches. Each entree comes with a side of Rice (brown rice or white rice with red beans) and two fried plantains.


Before I get to the main course I would like to tell you  how awesome this was. The rice was robust and flavorful and the plaintains were just... heaven in your mouth. The BEST part - Sam hates plantains, so I got hers. Always go to Latin restaurants with Sam.

The entree that came with these delicious sides, was clearly less fantastic to me. It was pepper chicken which in my head I was thinking this pepper:

Source: Wikipedia
and a dish that looked something like this:

Source: Google images
Not this pepper:

Source: Wikipedia
and a dish that looked like this:

Source: My Android phone at Latin Flavor
So it looks like a case of incredibly wrong expectations on my part and I really should stop assuming and start asking the wait staff if the dish is going to be what I expect. Speaking of which the wait staff here is extremely friendly.

Suffice to say I was a little disappointed by the entree as I found it to be a little bland. The rice and beans and plantains though more than made up for it.

All in all, Latin Flavor is a solid choice for Latin food in the area. I do think Caribbean delight is close enough that if you were craving something much spicier and more Jamaican I would go there.

If you are craving red beans and rice however - this is the place people.

Latin Flavor
627 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19147
267-519-2027


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing great post about 54 Latin Flavors. This time I am searching for some great San Francisco restaurants which are known for their cuisine. So which one is your favorite restaurant and what you would like to eat there.

    ReplyDelete