Tuesday, September 16, 2014

#50 Domino's Pizza and some reflections - Sam's synopsis

pizza + friends = yay
Isn't 50 supposed to feel differently? Am I supposed to be having some sort of crisis right now? How will I ever make it to the end, and how did I make it so far convincing everyone I know how to write effective commentary on food (okay, maybe I haven't convinced anyone of that yet)?

It's been an interesting journey so far. We can track our lives in so many different ways - since this blog started ~1.5 years ago, I've become a member of the Headless Camel Club by drinking 90 beers in under 90 days, I've gone through a terrible break-up that's resulted in me being close to completing my goal of folding 1000 paper cranes in one year (yes, I realize I have a lot of strange hobbies), I've submitted a paper for publication, I've gone to countless weddings and traveled to lots of different places both in and out of the country, and now I can add that I've eaten at 50 restaurants on South Street to that list. 50 restaurants on any street, in any city, is a lot. And it turns out there is a common theme among all of these life events, which is not surprisingly the sappy theme of friendship (I LIKE TO TALK ABOUT MY FEELINGS SOMETIMES, OKAY???). These things are only possible because I am surrounded by amazing people who somehow tune into a similar wavelength as me. If you've ever met me, you'd probably say I fall on the extrovert side of the scale, so I like to surround myself with people who make life worth living, even when I hit walls in other aspects of my life. So I want to thank everyone who has been a part of this journey so far, whether you've read a blog post, asked how the saunter was going, joined us for a meal (or three), provided a guest entry, or just let me know that you read our blog and enjoyed it. This has been such a fun experience, and I'm excited to find out what wonders await us at the end of South Street. 

toasting to 50 stops
I'd be remiss if I didn't single out Sandya in my personal musing above. We were just discussing this past weekend while participating in some hi-jinks in Chicago that it would be hard to do this blog with anyone else, because the two of us aren't crazy perfectionists that must have everything done a certain way by a certain time. And I'm glad that our initial idea of just wandering down South Street and picking a new restaurant every few blocks evolved into this blog - it's been a really great experience and a challenge in its own right, even if only a handful of people read this. Cause it's all about the experience, AMIRITE?

Well, this turned into another long-winded, slightly off-topic rant by yours truly. But I mean, what can I really say about Domino's Pizza? Here's a list:
the only thing I love more than you is
Domino's pizza, my darling
1) You should absolutely order your pizza online so you can track its progress - I promise you, hilarity will ensue with the different options of tracking you can use. My personal favorite is the soap opera love tracker, which had quotes like, "the embers of my heart are currently cooking your pizza," or something equally as entertaining. 
2) I used to go to Domino's all the time after high school got out with my friend Ashleigh, and we would go hang out in the woods and listen to the Doors. Surprisingly, no marijuana or alcohol was in attendance, it was just us being goofy. And the pizza and cheesy bread pretty much still taste the same as it did back then. Domino's is a decent chain pizza place, and I only /felt/ a little sick after consuming all that pizza and cheesy bread. I didn't actual get sick (bonus!) 
3) Pizza parties are best enjoyed with good company and delicious beer. 
4) Some people actually like pineapple and bacon pizza. I didn't try it, but I did enjoy the bacon + cheese pizza and the spinach + feta pizza.

Well, this was a divergence from my usual entry. Sometimes I just want to rant about life, and I figured this was my best excuse to do so in a blog post about food, because it's tied in with a milestone in our saunter. Thanks again to everyone who has been a part of this journey so far, and I look forward to what lies ahead. Actually, the next block has 10 restaurants, so maybe I don't actually look forward to it after all...

Domino's Pizza
716 South Street
(215) 592-8534 but you really should order online
Philadelphia, PA

No comments:

Post a Comment