Thursday, September 11, 2014

#49 Brauhuas Schmitz - Charles's synopsis

Another week another review - this time we were at the german beer garden Brauhaus Schmitz. I changed the format a little bit for this one - our good friends Charles and Eileen joined us for this stop and I asked a Charles a few questions about his experience. Here is what he had to say:

What did you think of the ambiance?
Good, but a bit loud. I would have liked if they had offered us the rear tables where it was quieter, instead of keeping us out front.

What did you think of the beverage list? Did you enjoy the beer you had?
The list was good and pretty comprehensive. I especially liked that they had "Schwartzbier" (black beer).

Did they have enough  variety on their food menu?
The variety was decent. I think the menu could be better organized to lay out the options in a more logical manner. That is, they could explain all of the available sausages in one place.

Did you enjoy what you ordered? Which sausage rules them all?
Hard to say since I only had two of their sausages. They were good, but neither really floored me, either.

All the sausages
Pickled sausage

How does this compare to similar food you've had before?
Very similar to Frankford Hall, with similar food quality. The spaetzle, however, wasn't as good as at Frankford Hall (who pan-fries spaetzle?). 

Pan-fried spaetzle


Would you return?
Maybe. I liked it, but I didn't feel as impressed with it as I had hoped to be. 

Overall, did you enjoy your experience there? What did they get right and wrong?
The experience was good, but not exceptional. The noise problem didn't help. The thing I think they got most wrong was the charcuterie platter (schinken). It was a good selection of dried meats, but we weren't given a guide to identify the actual meats, which was surprising. I also think the platter's cost was too high given the amount of meat that came with it.

Schinken


Thank you Charles.

For my two cents, I agree with everything Charles said. Stephanie and I ordered the full sausage platter where you get one of each kind, and we really only enjoyed two of the 6 sausages. Needless to say we liked the one's with a little bit of kick to them, so the Ungarischewurst (smoked pork, spicy paprika, garlic, red wine) really sticks in my memory as the one I enjoyed. We also got the pickled sausage just to try it, it tasted like sausage in pickle juice - it was okay.  I have had their schnitzel before and I remember it being delicious. 

I have always loved german Dunkelweisses, so I am always happy with the beer selection when I go here. 

So all in all, I've had better experiences here - it was extremely loud and I didn't enjoy everything I ate. However, I definitely know what I do enjoy from here (beer and schnitzel) and if I stick to that, I am a very happy person. 

Brauhaus Schmitz
718 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19147


No comments:

Post a Comment