Wednesday, May 28, 2014

#34 New Tower Pizza - Erin's synopsis

Hello there, this is Erin chiming in, a frequent companion on this saunter and roommate of Sam! I tagged along for the blog visit to New Tower Pizza and am here to tell you why this place is great.

First of all I should mention that I have ordered delivery from New Tower many times in the past. I tend to judge pizza places on their plain cheese slices and I think New Tower makes a pretty decent cheese pizza. They usually have the right amount of grease and cheese without the bells and whistles. I’ve also ordered their wings in the past and do not recommend those unless you like your wings deep fried.

My first in-person visit to this place was a few months ago with Sam while we were drunk and craving a slice of pizza after getting off the Broad Street Line around the corner. Not only did New Tower stay open late for us, they gave us an entire pizza for the price of a couple slices. Sure we proceeded to drop some of the pizza on the sidewalk while stumbling home, but it was good enough that Sam insisted on eating it off the sidewalk (much to the amusement of the smokers in front of the Cambridge). That’s right folks; this pizza is so good when you’re drunk you will risk all the diseases that come with eating food off the ground in Philadelphia in order to not waste a single slice! 

This visit was much less eventful. We stopped in for dinner on a week night and were the only customers for much of our meal. The guy serving us (I think he might have been the owner) seemed excited that were staying to eat and in really tried to go out of his way to make our pizza fast. We ordered a large pizza with mozzarella and ricotta but they were out of ricotta unfortunately so we settled on just the mozzarella as extra cheese. The pizza came out hot and melty as any decent pizza should. My only issue was the crust didn’t seemed cooked all the way but I blame that on the server rushing our order out to us as the crust has been fine every other time I’ve ordered from here. In general the toppings offered didn’t seem that special so I’ll probably stick to my usual plain cheese slice.

The restaurant itself is clean but plain. Most of their business seems to be from deliveries as I noticed the delivery guy coming and going the whole time we were there. I’ll continue to order in from New Tower but probably will only stop into the store if I’m on my way home from the subway and need a quick bite. 

New Tower Pizza
1410 South Street
Philadelphia, PA
(215) 772-2777

No comments:

Post a Comment