Friday, May 2, 2014

#33 Jamaican Jerk Hut - Sandy's synopsis


You can plan something for months and months and just when it seems your plan will work - it is cold and 50 degrees outside. Sigh. We hadn't really cared what time of the year we'd end up at what restaurant - except for the Jamaican Jerk Hut. We really wanted to come here when it was warm. We really wanted to drink beers while sitting outside enjoying the warm weather and the live band while the food warmed us further with its spices.

This springter (I know it sounds like sphincter) made sure that did not happen. Even though we had gorgeous weather earlier that week - on the day we were free to go - it was freezing. Well, c'est la vie sometimes - we still got some beer from Tangier and decided to make the most of it, despite our disappointment.


It isn't a very big place without the outdoor seating and so we booked ahead just in case. If your party is small though you don't have to. You will notice pretty immediately that Jamaican Jerk Hut gets a large number of people who do take out instead of sit in - which is a great option for the neighbourhood. They have a great selection of Jamaican food and I definitely had the "I WANT TO EAT EVERYTHING ON THIS MENU".... feeling.

We started with a deep fried shrimp with pina colada dipping sauce. It was a little strange because the sauce was not kidding around with how much like a pina colada it tasted. I wasn't expecting it to be quite so sweet. It wasn't bad, just a strange taste sensation. I do not have pictures of this - we ate them too quickly.

As for my entree I decided to not go fancy and try some good 'ol Jerk Chicken.


The platter comes with fried plantains, beans and rice and a very very interesting vinegar flavoured lettuce mixture. I cannot tell you how satisfying this was to eat. It is not for the mild at spice at heart(?) -  as this dish packs a nice punch. I loved how spicy it was and the rice, lettuce and plantains complimented this very much.


The chicken was succulent and very very flavourful. As a plus, there was enough food that I had a good chunk leftover for another meal.

Now here is my dilemma and I haven't decided how I feel yet. The day after I ate the jerk chicken, I had a tummy upset. I thought that maybe there weren't connected and I really was hoping they weren't. After I ate the leftovers, I had a tummy upset again.

My tummy upset could be a lack of spice tolerance on my part. I LOVED the food. So. It could just be me and personally for me, I don't know if it was worth it. While eating it I repeatedly asserted how absolutely worth it it was. However, the next day, I distinctly remember admitting that maybe it wasn't. 

Now that it has been a couple of weeks since the incident - it was totally worth it. 

Jamaican Jerk Hut
1436 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19146
215-5458644

No comments:

Post a Comment