Friday, August 2, 2013

#13 Fortune - Sandy's synopsis


Fortune is a happy little place. Very clean - what I would call spic and span - although I'm not really sure what that means. Do Americans also say spic and span?
We were greeted by this adorable little girl in a bright yellow dress running around the place. The lady behind the counter was very friendly and took our order efficiently even though me and Sam were being a little confusing. I loved the decor, it was random but pleasing. How can you not appreciate a framed "Flags of the World" piece?


Sam was very pleased by the cat decor too.


I was very pleased to see a vegetarian version of General Tso's chicken on the their menu. I love trying various Chinese restaurant's version of vegetarian General Tso's. My favourite is at Square on Square (19th and Chestnut), where they substitute the "meat" portion with this amazing deep fried seitan. I like Yue Kee truck's (38th and Locust) version too.Their "meat" is a little like bread and not deep fried in batter. The texture is great but the sauce too sweet for me.

Fortune's version was the first one I've had that was bean curd. I love fried tofu and paneer so this was delicious to me. I got the lunch special which got you an egg roll or soup with the order and I chose the egg roll. It was good, I don't remember anything particularly interesting about it.


A very refreshing question, whose answer is rarely a "yes" in a small Chinese restaurant such as this, is "For here or to go?". I can't imagine a lot of people actually sit down and eat there but it made me happy that she clarified. So we sat down to eat our awesome meal and for me to savour the tofu.


And I really did enjoy it. I still think Square on Square's version is the best, but this is a great alternative. And as an added bonus, Sam got the Moo Goo Gai Pan which came with mushrooms. Sam hates mushrooms - so they were mine! *evil laugh* ALL MINE!



And they were delicious. I will be getting her dish if we go there again. 

There was one small hiccup as we weren't charged for our drinks and were asked if we didn't mind paying for them by a VERY apologetic host. She was so extremely apologetic and it really wasn't a big deal. It made me wonder how often she would have to deal with people who would be angered by something like that. Here's hoping not. Another minor detail - there was no fortune cookie at the end. I'm not sure if we were supposed to ask for it - especially at a place called Fortune. Is this irony? Probably not.

All in all this was a very good experience. I would order from here over Fuzhou House if I had to choose. Additionally, if you walk there, you get to stop by at Philly cupcake for dessert. Milkshakes are a wonderful thing.

Fortune
1828 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19146


No comments:

Post a Comment