Thursday, July 18, 2013

#11 Ten Stone and #12 Philly cupcake - Sandy's synopsis


This next visit for our blog started with happy hour at Ten Stone and ended with me going to the Emergency Room. These are the events of June 27th, 2013:

I almost cancelled on Sam because of the pain in my abdomen - but the blog prevails! - over menstrual cramps. Besides a good beer should calm my insides. So we made the walk down over the South Street bridge admiring the view of center city while we cross over. As we walk past Honey's to Ten Stone I have a flash of all the good memories I've had at this bar. Ten Stone is a well established place in Philly and I'd be surprised if someone who has lived in the city for a decent amount of time hasn't made their way here once. We got there around 5:30pm on this Thursday and the place wasn't very crowded. Since I am obsessed with my weather app, we decided to sit indoors (A: You didn't need a weather app to know it was going to pour soon. B: Sit outside if you can in the summer. It is a great place to people watch while enjoying the weather). 

The decor is nice - church pews for chairs, exposed brick on one wall and artwork for sale. They also have a pool table and dartboard in the adjoining room.


As I gingerly settle into a chair, I can't help but look up at the awesome artwork on the wall. The pain reminds me that what I'm really here for is a pint and as I turn around our waitress is right there ready to give me my meds. The beer list has always been good at Ten Stone.  We are given the handwritten list that contains all the beers currently on tap. This to me is also a sign that their taps rotate pretty frequently, its more cost effective to just write them down on paper. 


I got the black lager which was delicious and really hitting the spot. From my previous experiences I remember the food being pretty darn good. But kudos to Sam on ordering the popcorn as an appetizer, because I hadn't had it before and it was awesome.


The food options were mostly foo foo versions of standard pub fare. I couldn't decide what to eat since I was distracted, but I settled on the jamaican jerk chicken cheesesteak. Now, I think that's what I ordered because I will admit from here on out the details get a little bit fuzzy. As we waited for our food we drank beer and ate popcorn and exclaimed about how awesome the weather app I have is. It began pouring outside, which made for a pleasant view out the windows that were next to our table.  It was almost a perfect evening. 

Now I should've realized around this time that something was wrong because I'm really not a cheesesteak person and I really don't know why I ordered one. I was however pleasantly surprised and the sandwich was good.


The rain died down by the time we were done eating and so we got ready to move onto Philly cupcake. As I hobbled the block to get there, I was thinking that a cupcake would really make me feel better. By now, I was doubled over holding my abdomen and wishing I'd had another beer. These were some pretty intense menstrual cramps...



Man, this place looks like the entrance to happy land! But wait till you see what is on the inside.


Those. SO many of those.

Anyhow, if I was remotely with it at this point I wouldve taken more pictures of the marvelous cupcakes, chocolates, nuts, ice-cream and chocolate covered marshmallows that Philly cupcake houses within. I mean - CHOCOLATE COVERED MARSHMALLOWS!  Hint# 37 that something was really up was when I did not order the marshmallows. I own no chocolate or candy in my house except for 3 bags of marshmallows. So please anyone who goes there next - get them...for me.

I got some sort of chocolate cupcake with vanilla frosting and sat down at their very eclectically designed tables (the chairs have pink tennis balls at the bottom to keep them stable). They made you want to have a tea party and eat scones. The ladies behind the counter were very nice. They offered me a glass of water cause I looked like I was in pain and asked if there was anything they could do. So thank you ladies.

As we slowly ate our delicious cupcakes in this little wonderland a couple of realizations begin to dawn on me. One, these cupcakes are damn good and that Sam and I should use Philly Cupcake as a pit stop after other blog visits. If you like desserts, you should def stop by here (They also have milkshakes. And marshmallows). Two, these aren't your run of the mill monthly cramps.

So when I'm done eating my cupcake I ask Sam the question that's been in swimming around in my head for the past few minutes - "Sam. What is the location of my appendix?"

Ten Stone
2063 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19146

Philly Cupcake
1944 South street
Philadelphia PA 19146


No comments:

Post a Comment