Monday, July 8, 2013

#10 - Honey's Sit 'N Eat - Sam's synopsis


Ahh, Honey's. In case you don't know, the original Honey's is at 4th and Brown in Northern Liberties, and it's quite the morning excursion for those of us who live in Graduate Hospital. I've been to the original one a few times, so I was very excited to hear that one was opening up the street from my house. In typical Philadelphia fashion, Honey's claimed to be opening its doors in May of 2012 but didn't actually open its doors until mid-winter 2013. Needless to say, I lost a bet and had to buy my boyfriend brunch because of it, but in the end I am reaping the benefits of having a great restaurant only a few blocks from my front door.
Menu + tea container.  It's a strange
looking tea container, but they made it so.
     I had already been to Honey's a few times before Sandya joined me for our saunter, but since it was between 8-10 am on a weekday, I wasn't too adventurous and ordered the bargain breakfast - 2 eggs, choice of potato, toast and coffee for $3.95. Since I don't drink coffee (yes I know I am probably the only person on the planet who doesn't like coffee) I was able to substitute tea, earl grey, hot to my liking.  I decided to get my eggs over medium, the potato latke and a biscuit.  I have to say, I really like Honey's but my meal wasn't anything special. Probably because it's the $3.95 breakfast discount, but the eggs were a little bland and both the latke and biscuit seemed extra dry (go to Sam's Morning Glory for the best biscuit in town).  I've gotten plenty of food I really like at Honey's, but I actually like the egg dishes at Ants Pants better (if we're gonna compare the two local brunch places on South Street).  The pancakes and french toast at Honey's are always fantastic though, and I do like that the portion they give you is just the right size to make you full but not stuffed. Apparently Sandya thinks otherwise, but let's all remember that she and her stomach are a lot smaller than me. All in all, the breakfast special is a great deal, I think I just had an off day with it not being as delicious as usual.
The breakfast bargain.  It's a lot of food for $3.95.

A glimpse of the inside.
The decor inside gets my stamp of approval, and I like the layout a lot more than the original - it seems more spacious.  The walls and tables are decorated with supplies from an old hardware store (old as in 50+ years old), which gives the restaurant a hip industrial vibe. There's also a countertop to sit at, decorated with mouthwatering cakes and desserts - it sort of reminds me of an old timey diner, which is further enhanced by the aforementioned hardware supplies and old signs hanging about the restaurant.

Be warned, if you try and go on the weekend there is always a huge crowd of people waiting both inside and out.  I've been in this crowd before, and the wait time they give you is often an overestimate, but you can still be waiting for upwards to an hour to be seated.  You can enjoy brunch any time at Honey's, but weekdays are best for no waits and breakfast bargains.

Honey's Sit 'N Eat
2101 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146
(215) 732-5130

No comments:

Post a Comment