Sunday, January 1, 2017

#95 - Paddy Whacks and 96 - South Street Diner - Sandy's synopsis


I don't think Paddy Whacks is a bar I would go into if it wasn't for the blog. It looked like your run-of-the-mill Irish pub, like New Deck. The reason we picked this rather hum-drum place for our last night on the blog was because it had a lot of space. 

Space.
Sam and I got there around 5:30 pm on that Friday and the place was pretty empty with a lot of free tables. We got a nice big booth and ordered some beer and appetizers while we waited for people to arrive. We ordered the appetizer sampler that contained your regular fried items - mozzarella sticks, wings, onion rings and potato skins. They surprisingly also had cheese curds from the cow and the curd on their menu. We ordered that as well because...how could you not.

Appetizer sampler

Cheese curds
The cheese curds were undoubtedly awesome and the other appetizers were solid Irish pub fare - greasy and delicious. The onion rings and mozzarella sticks were my favorite. The potato skins were a little hard to eat.

Their beer selection was surprisingly decent with the inclusion of mad elf on tap. Which they served in pint glasses for part of the night. Suffice to say, they were lushing us up quite well for our final destination - South Street Diner. 

All in all, Paddy Whacks came through on both counts - it was indeed just another Irish bar but it suited our party very well because of the space and Mad Elf pints. 


Which brings us to the last spot for our blog. Number 96. The appropriately named South Street Diner. As I was hoping it would be, this place was the perfect end to a drunken night with some standard but fantastic diner food. I ordered the eggs (sunny-side up) with sausage and hash-browns accompanied by a vanilla milkshake. 

Drunken manna

Health potion - for the drunk
The eggs and hash-browns really hit the spot. The sausage, not so much. It was a link not a patty and I prefer patties. The milkshake was a little thinner than I like but still very yummy. Those eggs and hash-browns tho - just perfect. 

So, for the last time, I am happy to say I highly recommend South Street Diner for your diner needs. They will not disappoint. 

I have many things I would like to say about our journey leading up to South Street Diner, but I will save that for our next and final blog post. Until then, a big thank you to everyone who came out to finish the blog with us and happy new year!

Paddy Whacks
150 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19147
215-464-7544

South Street Diner
140 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19147
215-627-5258



2 comments:

  1. Wow I was so drunk I forgot we ordered cheese curds. And I didn't even know you ordered a vanilla milkshake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sad you guys are done! I always read your reviews and it makes me miss you guys and Philly! :(

    ReplyDelete