Monday, July 11, 2016

#85 South Garden, #86 - Tavern 222 and #87 Rita's water ice - Sandy's synopsis

South Garden is a popular Chinese place in this neck of the woods. I spoke with a good friend who lives north of Market who said he regularly orders from here. Sam and I went during lunch time so we took advantage of their lunch specials. I was craving a little grease so I ordered the general tso's chicken which came with pork fried rice. 


The chicken was crispy, the sauce was tasty and the fried rice was deliciously salty. It definitely hit the spot. The lunch special comes with a soup, so I got the wonton soup.


The soup hit the spot too with the wontons having nicely salted pork (I assume) in the filling and a soft exterior. My conclusion - this is a great take out Chinese place with generous portions.  





On another fine day we went to Tavern 222, a mysterious place that I had never stepped foot in before. The decor is fashionably low lit and and the daily specials are actually great deals. We went on a Tuesday where their domestic beers are half off and their chili-dogs are $4. No-brainer.




On the downside, the music was really loud and I found I had to speak relatively loudly to have a conversation. In summary, my bank account was extremely happy, between Sam and I our bill was $15. However, from an ambiance (I'm growing old) point of view, I don't think I'll be returning. 





I have nothing much to say about Rita's. I've always thought it was mediocre. I got the vanilla malt milkshake and it didn't change my mind. 

Its a Rita's!



South Garden
220 South street
Philadelphia PA 19147
215-413-0200

Tavern 222
222 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19147
215-923-1999

Rita's Water Ice
235 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19147
215-629-3910

No comments:

Post a Comment