Sunday, March 6, 2016

#78 - Jon's Bar and Grille - Sandy's synopsis

I know very little about the three stooges. They were referenced a couple of times in Farscape, which are the only times I ever paid attention to them. So it is safe to say, the fact that Jons' bar and grille was Larry Fine's birth house, was not something that drew me to the place. I've lived next to this bar for years and not had the urge to go in.  

The blog overrides all urges or lack thereofs and so it was that I finally entered this place. Its quite spacious on the inside which is good, because it can get pretty full on the weekends. On a weeknight however, the place was a little empty. They also have deck and patio seating which makes it a popular spot in the summer.

The first thing one looks at, of course, is the draft list. Jons' has a very nice draft list with some great craft brews. I had a wonderful sour beer that I hadn't had before. Their menu is rather standard for a bar - appetizers, sandwiches, burgers some entrees. 

We decided to start with the nachos, which weren't terribly exciting but also not terrible. 


It had all the fixins' and we got ours with pulled pork - it would be very hard for this dish to taste bad. One nice thing of note is that Jons' is very accommodating of a gluten-free diet. We asked if the nachos could be prepared in a separate pan so as to avoid contamination and they said that was no problem. 

I ordered a burger for my entree which was pretty good. It came with a very healthy amount of cheese which I appreciated.  


However I have to say, the star of the show was the fries.


Besides being delicious on the day off, these fries were SO GOOD reheated. Fries that are also tasty the next day are such a rarity!

So, as far as Jons' bar and grille goes - come in for a piece of random celebrity history and stay for the beer and fries., 

Jons' Bar and Grille
300 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147

215-592-1390



No comments:

Post a Comment