Sunday, September 20, 2015

#66 - Woolly Mammoth - Sandy's synopsis



This has been a long hiatus. Perhaps our longest so far and Sam is correct - it is mostly my fault. I've been rather busy since the last posting and so our blogging came to a bit of a standstill. However, I officially do not have anymore more major life events coming up and can dedicate more time to eating. Not that writing one's PhD thesis doesn't involve a lot of eating, it does, but now I can resume our systematic interrogation of South Street's awesome food offerings.

Next on the docket was a bar called Woolly Mammoth. It has a really cool logo and has always intrigued us. It reminded me of Tangier a little bit (sadface!) - a dive bar that had good beer and was never too crowded. As can be seen in the introductory photo, Woolly Mammoth has a nice selection of draft beer. Additionally, they subscribe to Philly's obsession with the beer+shot specials (fondly called citywide specials) and have a plethora of daily citywide-esque specials that are guaranteed to make you regret things the next morning.


They have a standard bar food menu from wings to french onion soup (very like Tangier). I ordered the wings and they were good. I don't think they were as good as Tangier, well nothing can be right? They were very enjoyable though.



There are a few things I really enjoyed about Woolly Mammoth. I loved their dive bar atmosphere. I loved that they weren't overcrowded. I enjoyed their choice of draft beers. Finally, I enjoy that they seem to have regulars that have a good rapport with the staff. If I was in the neighbourhood for a low key night, this would be a place I would consider going.

Woolly Mammoth
430 South Street
Philadelphia PA 19147
215-923-8780


No comments:

Post a Comment