Thursday, June 20, 2013

#9 - La Va Cafe - Sam's synopsis

Before I get to the review, an announcement!  We now have a twitter account - follow us for live tweeting at restaurants and to hear all about where we're going next.  We're trying to keep up with the times here and be at the cutting edge of technology... or something.

As for La Va, it is actually physically the closest place on our saunter to my house, and it also happens to serve my favorite brand of chai in town.  Sadly, I don't know the brand, although it's definitely NOT Oregon (which is only so-so), but I do know you can also find it at Nook.  (As an added side-note, I want to give a shout out to Gavin's, who makes my second favorite chai in the city and is a frequent stop for both myself and Sandya after we play tennis).  Needless to say, when I am craving a chai of the hot or cold variety, I often stop in at La Va.  One downside is that they do not accept credit cards for purchases under $10, so if you're like me and don't carry cash, this could deter you from stopping by - although one of the baristas suggested the great idea to use my credit card to buy a gift card and then apply said gift card to my current purchase.  Of course they have an ATM on site, but who likes annoying ATM fees? But, I digress.  Let me talk more about La Va itself. 

Don't want to intrude on anyone's privacy...
You can also see one of the tabletop designs
NYAN!
When you first walk into the cafe, it has a very cozy feeling.  There are couches that look like they come from a high class secondhand antique store, and the artwork on the walls is, well, what you would expect to see in a coffee shop - eclectic, generally well-done and sometimes just downright weird.  As someone who has frequented this location the past 2 years, I can say there are a few permanent pieces but every 4-6 months or so there are new pieces. Recently, there were flatstock posters from local concerts in the area (which I am proud to say that I had attended about half), but now there are some non-descript paintings (i.e. not inspiring enough for me to remember exactly what they were. Flowers? Creepy babies? Abstract art?). Regardless, I think the decor is one of the highlights of La Va, so it's worth it to check out what's on the walls.  I also really love what they've done with their tables, where each tabletop has a different chic pattern.  One has stylized drawings of dog heads, one  shows a stack of famous novels, you get the point. Standardly hip.  The tables are spaced just right to give you a sense of privacy yet allow you to get friendly with your neighbor if you so desire. And there are tables outside, which are often where customers with dogs sit.  All in all, I have to disagree with Sandya on this one - I think the vibe from La Va is perfect for a coffee shop.

French toast and fresh raspberries!
mmm... delicious iced chai
As for the food and drink, well you already know how I feel about their chai.  What I like about this particular brand is how smooth and creamy the flavor is, and how it doesn't taste artificial or too spicy. Yes, I know true chai is supposed to be spicy, but I prefer mine sweetened (sue me for being American), and this particular blend does that very nicely while maintaining the chai flavor. For breakfast I decided to branch out (I often get the pesto breakfast sandwich, which is delicious) and go for the caramelized french toast with a side of turkey bacon.  Upon first taste, the french toast did have that hint of caramel flavor, but it soon disappeared, so I was a little disappointed about that.  However, the bread itself was moist and well battered, and the dash of raspberries on the side were a nice touch.  The turkey bacon wasn't anything out-of-this-world, but that just means it was nice and salty and helped balance out all the sweet flavors in the french toast and iced chai.  It was a fulfilling breakfast and a great way to start the day.

In the end, La Va holds a special place in my heart, partly out of convenience, partly because it serves my favorite chai in town, and partly because, fun fact: it happens to be the first coffee shop I ever went to as a Philadelphia resident.  If you're in the neighborhood, definitely stop in to get to know your neighbors, because I guarantee you'll be able to find something on the menu that will hit the spot.

La Va Cafe
2100 South Street
Philadelphia, PA 19146
(215) 545-1508

No comments:

Post a Comment